Saturday, February 16, 2013

My Feet Are On The Ground

February 17, 2013

After 30 hours of travel, I have safely arrived in Delhi.  I met up with fellow Seva Challengers, Tammy (from Florida) and Page (from Nashville) in the departure lounge at Charles De Gaulle airport in Paris.  It feels great to immediately be able to connect with them both.  Although we've all had our different methods of raising $20,000 we share the common thread of the cause.

The great thing about the travel to Delhi is that is went smoothly and was uneventful.  Phew.  Plus, all of our bags arrived after  many airplane transfers.

After falling heavily into sleep, I awoke this morning to a gray Delhi and after my morning meditation, headed downstairs to explore the breakfast buffet.  I went with traditional Indian fare of  masala chai, sambal, lemon rice and  idli accompanied by a tomato type chutney and coconut chutney.  I also had some scrambled eggs to get some form of protein, otherwise I'm heading toward carb overload.

It's so odd to be sitting downstairs in the dining room, with tables of mostly all men or all women.  Playing on the lobby TV is an Indian music video with this super studly guy in a near Speedo, at the beach, surrounded by scantily clad women gyrating and doing their Bollywood type of dancing.  It's such a conflict to see what's on TV and then to see women sitting, eating breakfast wearing headscarves.  I wonder how they feel about it all.

But, that was my experience on my previous trip to India in that it's full of constant extremes.  I know that as I sit here in my hotel room, typing on my groovy iPad with keyboard, in a nice hotel with bottled water, that there are millions of people outside of my walls who might think that my world, is simply another world away.

As I keep that in mind, I might book myself in for an Ayurvedic massage this afternoon to prepare myself for what lies ahead.

Again...I hold such gratitude and my heart is full.

No comments:

Post a Comment