Saturday, February 16, 2013

My Feet Are Off The Ground



Friday February 15, 2013

As I sit here on my way between San  Francisco and Seattle I am looking out my window at three distinct mountains covered in winter snow.  I believe one of them to be the formerly volatile Mt St Helens, but I'm not in a position to fact check that just at the moment.

Everything thus far has been extraordinarily easy and friendly.  The Alaska airlines check-in guy was downright exuberant at 6:15 am and I've never seen such jovial TSA agents who seemed more like your mate than the usual militant.  You felt as though you could sit down and have a nice chat and cuppa tea.

As I listen to "The Power Of Your Heart" by Peter Gabriel, I am reminded why I am sitting here sipping my Airborne.  I'm on a mission, to open my heart and bear witness to unthinkable suffering.  I'm hoping to get a sense of hopefulness through programs that have been working within these organizations.  I'm not here in the familiar role of traveler or tourist, although I know I'll be getting all the color and flavors that India has to offer.

Part of me feels bigger than myself as I launch into this experience.  Yet, I have learned many things from undertaking this Global Seva Challenge over the past year.  Although I am very proud of what I've accomplished, I am reminded to keep my ego in check.  I sit in gratitude with how my community came together to support me and these efforts.  The well wishes, words of encouragement and heartfelt hugs over the past few weeks makes me realize how very fortunate and  lucky I was to be born into opportunity.

I have no idea as to how I'll react to what I'm about to experience.  What I do know is that at this stage of my life, I feel ready to be fully present.  This is an auspicious year of pushing me further away from the familiar...I just turned 50, am heading to India in a new capacity and haven't been able to see much beyond the middle of March.  For someone who likes to organize, plan and be in control this is yet another lesson in softening my two fisted grip and letting go.

It's time to trust that all I've learned has brought me to this point in my life and that I'm exactly where I should be.  At least that's what I'd say to a yoga class, so let's see if I can take my own advice.

You know there will be more to come...stay tuned!

No comments:

Post a Comment