Sunday, June 28, 2009

Got Music?

Greetings everyone,
I've got the music in me, I've got the music in me, I've got the music in me and I guess I always have. I can't seem to get the thought of music out of my head.

We were traveling this past weekend and my husband was shocked at how much music I have loaded onto my iPod. "How can anyone listen to so many songs?" he asked incredulously. My response was that I listen to music every day. I sing something every morning as part of my meditation practice. I play music as I'm teaching yoga. I listen to the radio as I commute from place to place. I have Sacred Sounds radio playing on my computer as I write this. IT'S EVERY WHERE!

I've been exposed to all types of music ever since I can remember, through dance and my family. When Michael Jackson died this past week, the first person I called was my brother, who's a musician (as well as a custom woodworker). We "talk" music frequently and I feel the wiser for it.

If I put my yoga hat on and think about why music is so meaningful in my life is that it's vibration. It's immediately palpable energy. It's able to tap into so many different moments and emotions. I bet many of you know where you were when certain songs were playing and how you felt. Music is penetrating. It reaches into our hearts, souls and cells and connects us to something outside of ourselves-AHA! Just like our yoga practice connects us to something that's bigger than our physical selves.

It is thought that when we sing a particular mantra that it can be completely transformational, particularly if we repeat it 108 times a day over 30 days without missing a day. When I sing mantra, I am blown away by how many people have uttered the same words millions of times before me and that I am perpetuating this positive intention through my own Universal connections.

Need some relaxation. Try music.

Need some motivation. Try music.

Need some love. Try music.

Need to release something that's not serving you...you got the idea...you, too, can have the music in you.

I hope to see you in classes and singing along this week!

No comments:

Post a Comment