Sunday, July 5, 2009

Tree Hugger

Greetings everyone,
Yesterday, on the 4th of July (Independence Day here in the USA), I was watching a National Geographic show on Yosemite National Park. What struck me yet again, was the stunning beauty of not only the park, but the giant Sequoias that are indigenous to the area. I sat watching this program with a compelling feeling in my chest and as I observed my physical reaction to this show, I realized that the feeling was one of pure beauty.

I have been to Yosemite many times and stood as close as possible to giant sequoias. In having that as a past experience, I could ellicit the same visceral reaction through seeing the images on TV, even though I wasn't physically there...I felt as though I were. It was grounding and wonderful and yet again, I felt awestruck.

One of the teaching cues I give during a yoga class is to "spread your arms out wide as though you're hugging a giant sequoia". As I say this to my class, I get a feeling of my heart pressing into the bark of these giant living things. I feel connected to them, as though their 3,000 years of being on this planet can teach me something and if I open my heart directly to the tree...maybe some of that wisdom will seep into me!

What really blew me away was the comment during the program of some of these sequoias being around when Cleopatra ruled...CLEOPATRA! That was enough to throw things into perspective. It made me reflect that our current time on this planet is limited and goes by so very quickly. That I need to reach out, open my heart, allow wisdom of other beings to be part of my own growth and to enjoy the present moment.

My thought for this week is to ask you to take a moment to visualize being in the presence of something that has been around for 3,000 years. Perhaps, like me, you will feel humbled by that and all is has seen.


Australia Retreat: Deposits are now being received for the upcoming Yoga Retreat to Australia. Visit
www.desertyogatherapy.com/retreats.htm for more details and information. We are on the cusp of having a viable interest and are looking for commitment to attending. Please let me know if you would like to go!

Now...go hug a tree!

Peace and Namaste',

Jayne

No comments:

Post a Comment