Tuesday, June 23, 2009

Thanks Dad!

Greetings everyone,
With today being Father's Day, I have spent part of my day reflecting on my own Dad and how he was one of my most valued teachers. He passed away almost 27 years ago from kidney cancer. He was 46 years old...the age that I am as I write this. It makes me think how much more life lies ahead of me and it taught me to value every moment, as you never know when your moment will be met. But, instead of focusing on the feeling of loss, I choose to reflect on all that he was able to teach me.

My Dad was a brilliant man...not just a biased observance, but well established as he was a metallurgical engineer who was a researcher in aerospace. When I was young and he told me he was an engineer, I thought it meant that he drove trains. I even had a quick vision of his engineers hat, although I never saw him wear one. But, what made my Dad brilliant to me was that he took time with me...to teach me. We played softball together, he kept my stats, measured off how many steps it was to the pitchers mound and coached my teams. He held me patiently as I was screaming with frustration at not understanding algebra. He took the time to explain, teach and support my learning. I ended up with A's in algebra by the end of the school year.

He supported my decision to travel to Australia as an exchange student and encouraged me to make decisions around my higher education based on interest of topic, not my interest in a boyfriend.

He taught me to get my fingernails dirty in the garden and in pitching a tent. To be the "tomboy" that I was without embarrassment but through embracing my abilities, even if others thought it to be "un-lady like".

My Dad embraced me for who I am and who he thought I could become. I miss him, but have his voice and eyes burned into my thoughts.

Happy Father's Day to all of you and your Dad's. My thought for this week is to sit for a moment in gratitude for all that your Dad has given you.

No comments:

Post a Comment