Friday, May 28, 2021

The Future Buddha is the Sangha

 

This week my theme is the second of three lessons that have truly stood out from time I’ve spent in my yoga practice. Last week, the lesson was one of self-love and a reflection of when we deeply love ourselves, taking time to care for ourselves, and get to know our truest essence, that energy ripples outward. It affects how we relate to ourselves and the world at large.

The second powerful lesson that has emerged from my time on the mat is related to community. As recently as January 2021, I heard a discussion on “the future Buddha is the sangha” and found it intriguing and on point. A sangha is a like-minded community that holds a common intention and what this said to me was that wisdom is held in the collective rather than sitting with one person. Having been a movement teacher and coach for most of my adult life, I have been the person standing in front of others, leading people through exercises, asanas, discussions, meditations, workshops, and retreats. The mantel of “expert” has been place upon my shoulders and people have looked to me for guidance and answers. With the announcement of closing my business and going on indefinite sabbatical many people initially reacted with a feeling of loss. I have been the common denominator in this particular community that truly began in earnest in 2006. And now, that’s changing, so what’s next?

Last week I spoke about being the pebble dropped into a still pond, creating concentrically wider and wider circles. I have been the pebble and what I’m here to share is that I’m not the only pebble.

July of 2012 was a pivotal time for me personally and professionally. I was in the midst of raising money for Off the Mat, Into the World to support organizations addressing the issue of sex trafficking in India. I had a $25,000 goal and spent eight months creating a variety of events to raise the funds. The clothing company, lululemon, offered to hold a donation based yoga class to be taught by me, in their store. For context, it was July in the desert…snowbirds and seasonal visitors had left, it was really hot, and I was thinking that if 15-20 people showed up, I’d be happy. As I was getting ready to teach, people kept arriving and by the start of class, 55 people had shown up. I was stunned. The energy in the class, the collective voice that had gathered to offer support to those who were voiceless just about left me speechless. And from that moment onward, it was as though we were riding a huge wave to the goal-raising finish line.

I knew that when I undertook the challenge I would need support. I was a yoga teacher, not a fundraiser, so I turned to people in my circle of yoga practitioners who did know how to raise money. I needed help and although I don’t find it easy, I needed to ask for help. It was a humbling experience and I always felt it wasn’t me who raised the money, it was we who did.

Since that time, this community has continued to support all of the seva (service) projects that I threw out there…India, Australia, Nepal, and a host of local organizations that simply needed a helping hand. Each and every time, without fail, this community showed up. It has been one of the most gratifying aspects of being in my practice and something that I’m not only immensely proud of, but will honor for all time.

As I close this chapter, the one thing I will definitely miss the most is community. I have had the beautiful opportunity to interact with so many incredible and generous hearts. I wish I had more time to get to know people and their amazing life stories more deeply. So please know, that when we love ourselves and tap into our hearts, listening to what motivates and inspires us in life, we gather a wisdom that is unique to ourselves. We are all unique wisdom keepers and when we bring that together, the synergy of all of us is a potent force, one which I hope will benefit not only ourselves but all beings in the world.


No comments:

Post a Comment