Friday, May 7, 2021

Stop

 


As much as I try not to buy into the notion of busyness, I have to admit the past couple of weeks have been on the hectic side, and it’s through my own doing. Nobody has imposed this busy time on me, as it’s simply a result of what I’ve wanted to manifest in my life…becoming a traveling world nomad. In order for that to happen a few other things need to happen first. You know, stuff like selling our condo, trying to sell a business, sorting, donating, moving, and all the while still working full-time.

I see this time like waves of the ocean…they’re big and ready to knock me off my feet. My preferred wave metaphor is that of even waves that lap at my ankles, not the monster rip-tide ready to pull me under. And I keep reminding myself that this too is an impermanent state and eventually I’ll be getting sand between my toes without feeling too scared to enter the ocean.

The theme of this week is to STOP. Stop what I’m doing and, instead, offer myself a breather and some recovery time without the panic of the beckoning call of the looming deadline. Plus, my body has been dictating when I need to stop bending over, packing stuff, moving things, and sorting. My body speaks through hunger, fatigue, thirst, pain, and headaches, so it’s a good thing I’ve become better at allowing this space to take a break particularly when my to-do list and a timeline are tapping on my shoulder.

Stopping is part of self-care and not a sign of laziness or apathy. Pain is something that often forces us to stop and wisdom is understanding that we don’t need to go to the point of pain before we can back away.

 Part of this week’s inspiration is encapsulated with a quote from Courtney Carver (bemorewithless.com):

“That moment when you think you don’t have time to take care of yourself is the exact moment you have to take care of yourself.

I read that and thought, yep, that about sums it up and reminded me why creating a daily, non-negotiable practice is vital to honoring the foundation of self-care. By creating sacred space in our day, we are able to stop what we’re doing, check-in with what we need, and simply become the observer of our own experience. If we just keep pushing through, checking things off the list of responsibilities, we so easily lose touch with the essence and sweetness of our lives. Instead of human doings, we’re able to come to the simplicity of human being…just being, with whatever may be happening, whether it’s tickling our toes in the sand or deconstructing the whole of our lives.

Being in the quiet space brings the moment into focus and gives meaning to our lives. And in order for us to be in a space of expansive consciousness we need to stop, to pause, to take a time-out and tune in.

One of my favorite quotes is:

“You should sit in meditation for 20 minutes a day, unless you’re too busy, then you should sit for an hour.”

~Old Zen Saying

Fifteen years ago I dedicated myself to a daily practice of meditation, slowly over time, creating a practice that is both dynamic and disciplined. I have kept to this non-negotiable time in a way I never expected, but I have realized how much it sets the course of every day. One of my teachers, Nischala Joy Devi, once said that when we establish our practice on a daily basis, it begins to feel like leaving the house without brushing your teeth. That makes complete sense to me now. I wouldn’t think that every day is a day where I need to decide whether or not brushing my teeth is a good idea…it’s part of self-care and good hygiene. It’s the same thing with a daily practice, it’s part of self-care and good personal (mental and spiritual) hygiene.

A great place to start is in a small, committed way. Set an intention of sitting still, in a quiet place, and count ten full deep breaths. That’s it. It will likely take less than five minutes and I dare to say, you’re worth it! Remember…you don’t have to stop, you get to stop!

No comments:

Post a Comment