Thursday, November 12, 2020

Relax and Trust

 


Yet again, another week of uncertainty and chaos. It’s beginning to sound and feel repetitive. From riding the waves of the US election to an explosion of Coronavirus cases with no end in sight, the ground beneath my feet is feeling unsteady. As I checked in with students prior to classes over the past several days, one thing was prevalent…tension. People were voicing “I need a good stretch. I need to just show up today. I need to unwind and relax. I feel tight. I’m holding tension in my neck…” and on it went. If the body is noticeably tense, it’s a sign of being threatened and being in the vigilant aspect of our nervous system. And then, a friend reminded me of the quote, “Our ability to relax is in direct proportion to our ability to trust life.” Wham. There it is.

As I contemplated the above quote, I asked myself, how have I come to not be trusting life?

I began to take stock of what got my knickers in a knot and noticed that I had moments of being sucked into the black hole of media. I turned it off on Election Day, giving myself a buffer from the anxiety, yet when I turned it back on in the subsequent days, I got quickly sucked back in. I noticed myself not trusting the greater power of humanity and being lured into the drama narrative. The lack of trust in what was happening outside of me was pointing me in the direction of fear-based reactions and thoughts.

In order to recalibrate and align with what I value in my life, that of compassion and equanimity, I needed to remember what I do trust in life and how to switch back toward what was supportive rather than destructive of my own inner health and peacefulness. The list below is what emerged:

 

  •         It’s time to listen. I need to stop talking, stop trying to fix it, and simply listen to what is being said.
  •         It’s time to be on my mat. Every day with full presence and openness.
  •         It’s time to remember my deeper purpose. Why am I in this embodiment, anyway?
  •        It’s time to come back to my heart and get out of my head.
  •        It’s time to trust what I have trusted before-my intuition, my practice, stillness, and the discipline of my daily practice.
  •         It’s time to unplug to encourage relaxation.

When I come back to what I have control over and return to the inner spaciousness and wisdom of my own being, my need to avoid what I don’t like begins to dissipate and I can work on finding ease with whatever situation I’m facing.

When we turn our energy away from our inner being, it’s easy to get overloaded with anxiety about things which we truly have little control over. It shoves us into the part of our nervous system which is on high-alert and has real physical consequences, particularly if we never break out of it. Relaxing is imperative for our health on all levels and isn’t accomplished through avoidance, online shopping, self-medicating, prolonged anger, or anxiousness. BY coming to our mat, we give our weary heart an opportunity to unplug from the outer and plug into the inner, where we truly have a locus of control and agency. If we can offer ourselves 15-20 minutes of a supported relaxing pose (such as corpse/Savasana), spend time sitting in meditation or doing conscious breathing, we can interrupt the disruptive pattern that knocks us off our feet.

We are eight-months into the pandemic and I’m still in my studio, by myself, teaching to the small screen of my iPad. I’m grateful that I can do my work in the world and see the incredible reactions of our yoga community and how thankful they are that we can gather and practice, albeit, virtually. And at the same time, I see no quick or easy solution. In order for me to stay connected to what’s important, I need to stay with what supports equanimity and offer myself compassion during challenging times.

Magic lives within this practice we call yoga. Get on your mat and let’s remember the magic together.

No comments:

Post a Comment