Friday, November 27, 2020

Haudenosaunee Thanksgiving Address

 


I finally finished reading the book Braiding Sweetgrass: Indigenous Wisdom, Scientific Knowledge, and the Teachings of Plants by Robin Wall Kimmerer . And I don’t mean finally, as in what a slog, but rather as the conclusion to something quite inspirational. I took my time reading and contemplating the book, savoring its unique perspective. Something about it felt like a reconnection to a part of me and the rest of humanity that is within us but lays dormant. I would often feel the words resonating in my belly, like I know this, yet felt as though I was hearing it for the first time. Perhaps this was precisely the book I needed to be reading during this time as I have just completed a year-long study of Shamanism and the Medicine Wheel. The culmination of this time has been the message to return to ancient wisdom and to listen not only to the elders, but to the voice of the natural world.

This past week was the national holiday of Thanksgiving and the frequent go-to theme is obvious – what are you grateful for? Yet being inspired by the above, it felt fitting to introduce and quote from The Haudenosaunee Thanksgiving Address, Greetings to the Natural World. This translation of the Mohawk version of the Haudenosaunee Thanksgiving Address was developed, published in 1993, and provided, courtesy of: Six Nations Indian Museum and the Tracking Project.  It addresses 17 different aspects of the natural world: The People, The Earth Mother, The Waters, The Fish, The Plants, The Food Plants, The Medicine Herbs, The Animals, The Trees, The Birds, The Four Winds, The Thunderers, The Sun, Grandmother Moon, The Stars, The Enlightened Teachers, and The Creator. The Haudenosaunee Confederacy is a tribal nation originating in the northern part of New York State and borders with Canada. They are made up of six tribes the Mohawk, Onondaga, Seneca, Oneida, Cayuga, and Tuscarora.

The address honors and thanks the various aspects of the natural world, knowing that they all support us in being able to survive on this planet. In its recitation, “Now our minds are one” is the closing statement. It’s not only an acknowledgment of the natural world, but an understanding that we are the stewards of the earth. As the Earth Mother looks after and provides for us, even in an injured state, we in return must look after her.

What I took away from “Braiding Sweetgrass” and the Haudenosaunee Address reflects so many aspects of yogic philosophy, including that of interconnectedness and reciprocity. We are all one yet each of us has our unique role to bring forth in the world. When we honor each other by allowing each of us to offer our gifts, not only do they benefit the fulfillment of purpose but become interwoven with the giving and receiving cycle of all beings on the planet…including the 17 forms honored by the Haudenosaunee.

One of the reasons these words are resonating in my belly is knowing that I have been complicit in the harm that humans have caused to the earth. I use plastic. I drive a hybrid car that still uses fossil fuel. I haven’t always asked permission from the earth to pick up a stone or a feather. I like to fly on jet airplanes. I’m no longer composting and unfortunately, on it goes. I have become more aware of my impact over the years yet more can be done. So these ancient words of wisdom and respect have been the inspiration that not only do I need to do more, but I need to support others in taking action as well.

The next phase of my action is beginning to take shape although I don’t really know what it looks like. I trust from past experience that in order to get things moving, having a starting point of some form of awakening is vital and I believe this is the moment. When we become aware of something we can make a choice to keep repeating the same behaviors or start to make different choices. I trust the Universe to guide me in the right direction now that I’m beginning to ask the right questions. How can I be of service to the Earth Mother? How can I honor the ancient wisdoms? How can I leave this planet in the hands of my grandchildren and their grandchildren in a better state than it’s currently in? And how can I encourage others to do the same and build a collective consciousness that benefits all beings?

I hope you are curious about this awakening, unfolding, and call to action. I hope that you can connect into the abundance of the earth and bow in gratitude. And I trust that as I continue to navigate this path, I will continue to be inspired and be shown where to place my footprints. I know the elders have traveled this path before me and for that I honor and hope to perpetuate their wisdom.

Our minds are one.

Click here to link to the full Haudenosaunee ThanksgivingAddress


No comments:

Post a Comment