Sunday, August 4, 2013

Australia On My Mind

 
 
 
Around this time over the past four years I've been getting myself ready to retreat Down Under.  My husband Ed and I would fly to Australia, visit friends and either before or after, head to Sanctuary Retreat in Mission Beach to dive into the ocean and open our hearts within the heart of a rainforest. 
 
But not this year.  As the cards often fall, other things came into action and for me, it was spending an amazing three weeks in India in February/March of this year.  So, I shot my wad with being able to feel as though I could take more time off.  Sadly, Sanctuary has to wait until next year.
 
Sanctuary retreat is well named.  It's been a place of great healing and connection, of revitalizing that deep inner space and of stepping away from technology, cooking and general running around.  It was where we went four months after Ed had open heart surgery and was a turning point in his recovery.  At Sanctuary, you walk through a rainforest and come across bird life, lizards and other reptiles, butterflies and beetles.  If you're lucky, you get a visit from one of the local cassowaries (a large, flightless bird that dates back to the dinosaurs).
  
Cassowary Stu
A gentle breeze rides up the hill off the Coral Sea with hours spent lounging on the deck of the long house.  Fresh food, tea and coffee are available and the accommodations are nestled right into the rainforest.  Many mornings begin with a pre-sunrise walk through the rainforest down to the beach for a sunrise meditation.  And of course, there's yoga galore!  Morning vinyasa, late afternoon restorative and reflective educational sessions in between.
 
I reminisce about Sanctuary so that I can re-awaken and remember the energy that is there.  I go there in my morning meditations through the assistance of an newly found app (Calm.com).  One of the choices is the sound of waves on a beach that looks similar to Brookes Beach at Sanctuary.  I hear the sound of the waves, occasionally opening my eyes to center myself by seeing the image of a sun rising over the ocean and I'm able to be in the energy of Australia.  It's not exactly the same thing, but it's tapping me into the residue that I've held after every visit.
 
Since I'm not physically going to Sanctuary this year, I need to go there mentally and energetically.  You can try it as well by clicking on the above link and perhaps, next year, you'll join me and experience it in person.
 
Maybe it's time to start practicing how you say, "G'day"!

No comments:

Post a Comment