Sunday, July 4, 2010

The Feeling of Freedom




Having been born into the Western world, freedom has always been part of the vernacular. It's woven into the American National anthem, is seen on bumper stickers to support the troops, is contained within the US Constitution and reflected in the numerous speeches given by notable leaders. We annually celebrate freedom by marking July 4th, Independence day with the freedom to eat BBQ and watch fireworks. It's a day of national pride and celebration.

Writing each week from a yogic perspective, I wanted to sit with what the word "freedom" means within the paradigm of a yoga practice or from living a yogic based lifestyle. Within my own experience, the "free-est" I've ever felt is when I traveled to Africa without a predetermined amount of time. The only agenda that I had was a one-way ticket and no itinerary. I wanted to let the experience simply unfold before me without feeling that I had to be someplace at some specific time. I made the choice to be on "Africa time", resisting my more common practice of forcing my schedule into a place that might not see it from the same perspective.

Having given myself permission to "go with the flow", I had a completely unfamiliar experience...that of complete freedom. It was momentously liberating.

Freedom within yoga can be found on all levels of the practice. If we bring our awareness into the simplicity of our breath, we free our minds from focusing on things beyond our control. If we bring a feeling of opening and spaciousness into our bodies, we free up tightness within joints. If we allow whatever to arise during our meditation practice to simply come up, we begin to free ourselves from harsh self-criticism and judgment.

We in the United States and Australia are so very fortunate and blessed to have a free society. Within the society we are free to express ourselves and free to explore individual paths of spiritual pursuit. One challenge that living in these free societies are the self-imposed limitations that bind our bodies, minds and spirits. Although we may inhabit these countries, it is up to each individual within to seek their own boundless freedoms. Yoga is a way to pursue our deepest potential.

Find your own freedom as we celebrate the freedoms of our collective whole.

No comments:

Post a Comment