Sunday, July 25, 2010

Alone Time




Over the past couple of weeks, my writings have been inspired through conversations with others. They have provided the spark that ignited a connection to writing about a certain topic from a yogic perspective. So this week, I asked my husband if anything was floating around in his awareness that I might like to approach for my weekly blog. Our dinner conversation was around how he's gotten into bicycling over the past few weeks. He started out riding with another friend, who has now left for the summer, and has continued riding by himself. I asked if he preferred to ride with someone or was it also good being alone."

He replied, "I'm fine riding by myself". I asked, "Does it act like think time?" to which he replied, "it does, but I also just enjoy the beauty of our surrounding mountains, blue skies and palm trees. Perhaps that what you could write about this week...being alone.

It sounded familiar. After going over my previous blogs, I discovered a version of the following and thought it worthy of a reprint. Particularly as we leave for Australia in the near future and I myself, am looking forward to having some serious alone time.

My question for the week is-How much time do you spend each day alone? Not with the radio on whilst you're driving, or lounging in front of the TV, but simple being in the act of sitting quietly...just you.

And then you might ask the question...why is this important? Good question. When we get to a place where we are completely at ease and accepting of who we are, with all of our unique imperfections, where we hold our own hearts in gentle compassion we can then begin to truly express this same feeling to all others.

This thought has been prompted by the upcoming yoga retreat to Australia. It's a time that is carved out of our daily busy lives, where we have the opportunity to hear our own inner voice, with no interruption or distraction. People who have attended retreats in the past have had many challenges and obstacles in getting there in the first place...kids, finances, travel, other obligations...things that initially might have screamed "NO", you really can't afford to go. But, many have found a way. They would all tell you that it was worth the "sacrifice" to feed their own soul, as they returned to all of the original objections with greater love, peace and appreciation.

I know that when we returned from our 9-day yoga retreat in Australia in October of 2009, even with me teaching the retreat, the residue from its impact lasted for almost three months. THREE MONTHS!! Through the feeling of unplugging, looking after my well-being on all levels of body, mind and spirit, I was able to hold onto that for weeks post-retreat.

You can too. Look into your heart and see if it's asking you to take some time for yourself. Even if it's not an exotic or extended retreat, but perhaps your own staycation retreat. It not only serves your own higher good, but those of others. It's an investment of energy that will continue to resonate well after the experience has finished.

No comments:

Post a Comment