Saturday, July 17, 2010

Abundance...Is It About Stuff?




What is it that you wish to have more of in your life?

Good health, peaceful environment, less busy time or freedom from worries around money? It's a good question to ask ourselves every now and again. What is it that I need to support me along my journey? What stuff do I need to fulfill my purpose?

Getting clear on our path and purpose can be found in the yogic teachings through uncovering our "Purusharthas", the four elements that help us to define our role in the world. They are Dharma (purpose), Artha (wealth, value), Kama (passion/joy) and Moksha (freedom). One way to begin to answer the initial question of "what do I wish I had more of in my life" is to gaim some level of clarity around our purpose and what we need to help us fufill it.

Answering questions such as:

"What is my role in the world?"
"When I am serving the highest good, what am I doing?"
"Do I have enough?"
"Are my things making me happy, or stealing my joy?"
"What am I passionate about?"
"What am I doing to free myself from activities and perceptions that me me unhappy?"

These types of questions are posed when we are trying to clarify what we need to do to enhance our dharmic path. When we begin to gain clarity, it seems as though the importance of material wealth is put into perspective. We begin to uncover and feel gratitude for elements in our lives that have no material value, but are laden with richness.

Acknowledging on a daily basis all that we are grateful for helps to point us in a direction of recognizing how much abundance presently surrounds us. Simple things such as friends, family, love, opportunity, free speech and good health. Gratitude is a bridge that connects us to our own abundance. Without having a feeling of thankfulness towards all that we are and all that we have, we may take for granted the many blessings that surround us. We may exhibit that "spoilt child" type of behavior of always wanting more and not being happy with what we have. Gratitude leads the way towards recognizing what is truly important and present in our lives...now, in this moment, today.

That's not to say, that being a modern day yogini that I don't need my computer and cell phone. They support me along my dharmic path as much as having students and a studio in which to practice and do what I am meant to do...share my love and knowledge of yoga to those who are willing to open themselves to it.

So? What do you need? What are you thankful for? Where does your abundance shine through?

1 comment:

  1. Great post! You should get the word about your blog out a bit more. Your writing is so fresh.

    ReplyDelete