Monday, July 13, 2009

Sometimes It Takes Courage

Greetings everyone,
This weeks post is a day later than usual as I have just returned from Music City, Nashville, TN where I spent 5-days visiting with my brother, Ken. I have such feelings of gratitude to have a relationship with my sibling that deepens and continues to grow as we get older.

Being in Tennessee and traveling to their State Park, Fall Creek Falls, it reminded me of how much variation exists between each of these United States. The local accent sounded so foreign to my ear that is tuned to Southern Californian wave lengths and intonations. The landscape alone had me reflecting on the seemingly fearlessness of explorer's who would of had to "whack" their way through such thickly wooded terrain and navigate rivers to unknown destinations. What courage must have been present in looking into the unknown.

My thought of the week is that of courage. When we step more deeply into our yoga practice, we can be met with many challenges. Some physical, some emotional and spiritual. As we look a bit deeper into our own selves with increased awareness, paying attention to our reaction without judging, we often need to have courage to see what is present.

Yoga teaches us to just "be" with whatever is facing us in that moment. It may be change, fear, dissatisfaction, love or any other emotion. By recognizing WHAT it is we are feeling, we can teach ourselves to not react to it. Take a deep breath and turn inward. Feel that you're heart can remain open and steady even if it gets a bit scary!


Peace and Namaste',
Jayne

No comments:

Post a Comment