Sunday, September 13, 2020

Re-emergence


I am just returning from taking an 8-week hiatus from teaching and doing a few cartwheels along the way. This isn't the time away that we had planned. I canceled three retreats, two in Australia and one in Italy, as well as travel plans through Singapore and Greece. We were meant to be on the road for 10 weeks and, like many others, Covid-19 challenged our ability to let go and be adaptable.


What happened instead has been a reconnection to my childhood roots. Having grown up in Southern California, it was always a magical day to head off to the beach jammed in the back of a station wagon with neighborhood friends and a packed lunch. As we have spent the past 8 weeks exploring coastal California, I found myself reminiscing about those earlier days. Much of the childhood energy of the beach was present today. I guess that's where I first felt the power of the ocean and began my respect of Mother Earth.


Something about the ocean seeps into my soul. Perhaps it's the mesmerizing rhythm of the waves or how the beach is in a constant state of impermanence, it never looks the same and is in a state of change with each wave washing ashore. My husband and I spent literally hours walking along and staring at the ocean. We grew our knowledge of bird and ocean life, enjoyed the sparsity of people, and an abundance of fresh air. Not every day was a sunny day, some were laden with a heavy fog, giving a greater appreciation for when the sun burst out. Our vitamin D levels have been enhanced, our Achilles' tendons stretched and strengthened and our relationship deepened through long strolls and conversations.


The primary message I've received over this time is the importance of looking after myself and managing my needs. "Do less" has been the phrase that emerged. And as I say those words, putting them into action is definitely a challenge. I am pulled to serve others and, at times, ignore the messages from my own body. I have a few personal physical challenges, one of which is managing a long-time back issue which had gotten more painful over the past few months. The result is a stronger focus on doing less in my physical yoga practice and creating more core stability. I have too much movement in my lumbar spine which as a gymnast was a great thing but as a woman in her late 50's, not so great.


Students may notice a shift in my teaching as I re-emerge from this hiatus...I hope so. I've undertaken three courses of study over the past four months in pranayama with Judith Hanson Lasater, Ph.D., spinal health with Dr. Stuart McGill and Bernie Clark, and an anatomical Livestream human form dissection with Dr. Gil Hedley. I continue to be in my year-long mentorship as a Wisdom Keeper in Shamanism through Gaia Wisdom School. I trust these resources will show through in how I serve others.


I look forward to connecting with you and hearing what has been shifting in your world.


Before I go...I'll head to the beach a few more times, bowing to Mother Earth and Father Sky for the lessons and beauty. I'm listening.

1 comment: