Saturday, May 9, 2020

Impermanence


I've done the math. Each year, we have the opportunity to see 12 full moons and every seven years or so we get 13. I'm 57 years old which means I've had the opportunity to view approximately 687 full moons. Now given that I probably paid no attention to the moon in the first couple of decades of life and not every full moon is visible either because of clouds, my sleep patterns, or forgetfulness, the number decreases significantly. I can remember certain full moons with my favorite one being at the Desert Trip music festival as a harvest moon rose behind the stage as Neil Young was singing Harvest Moon...this one is etched in my "ooh ahh" memory book forever!

It is said that we see what we are manifesting and creating in life by the light of the full moon and what is present is what we planted previously during a New Moon. The moon also has no source of light but is simply reflecting the light of the sun...it's showing us the brilliance from another source. Its energy is thought to be cool and feminine, hence, the menstrual cycle is often referred to as the "Moon Cycle". And in a vinyasa flow yoga class, we'll sometimes practice "Moon Salutes" (Chandra Namaskar) which are more gentle, slower, and perhaps more "cooling" than the fiery, masculine Sun Salutes (Surya Namaskar).

How this relates to this week's theme is through the concept of impermanence. Each time I've seen a full moon, it has never been exactly the same. The color, position, time of day, and amount of exposure varies. If we stepped out every night to check out the moon, it would look different every time. It reminds us that life moves in cycles which is exactly the reminder I needed this past week...that this Covid-19 impacted time is also impermanent. It won't be like it is now, forever, although, at times, social isolation feels interminable. 

The cool thing about this week's full moon is that it's the last "Super Moon" we'll have in 2020, meaning its position is relatively close to Earth. It's also a Super Moon in Scorpio, also called the "Buddha Moon", as it is thought that the Buddha was born, became enlightened, and died under such a moon. This Super Scorpio Moon is also affecting the tides due to gravitational forces between the Sun, Moon, and Earth. As I sat with the many puzzle pieces of this time and felt into the emotional temperature of myself and others, this week is not only about impermanence but about the element of water. 

The second Chakra, known as the Svadistana Chakra, has the element of water and is connected to emotions, sensuality, sexuality, and a form of physical creativity. So, as our moods are pushed around by our current situation and with the presence of a powerful moon, it felt completely right to think of how things in life are constantly changing. A quote from Lion's Roar, a Buddhist magazine, stated that "Change is always both good and bad, because change, even when it's refreshing, always entails loss." 

Our current times have created an epic shift in people's lives on a global scale. Some of the changes feel invigorating to me with a re-imagining of my business model, thinking from a different perspective, seeing the fruits of my yoga practice supporting me during a difficult time, and observing a burst of beauty and abundance in the natural environment. Yet at the same time, I sense loss. I haven't been able to hug my Mom or friends in two months or hand graduating certificates to my Yoga Teacher trainees. My travel plans for the summer are likely altered and I can't just "pop" into the store to pick up something on my way home. Yet at the same time, I feel incredibly grateful to be able to keep working and connecting to my purpose on a daily basis. I have safety and food and massive amounts of love.

Yep...it's an emotional time, even if we don't quite know how to articulate what we're feeling. 

This week has been about reminding ourselves about a few things. This too shall pass. All emotions are valid. Notice when you're getting caught up in an emotional loop that becomes destructive and come to your practice to help shift things. Show up for yourself and know that self-care starts with believing in your own value. Breathe...deeply, slowly, and often. 

And finally, go outside, put your feet on the earth and take some time to soak in the beauty of the moon. She'll show you a different phase every time and remind you of the present moment and to trust the unfolding of a different ending tomorrow.

No comments:

Post a Comment