Sunday, November 22, 2015

Peace and Harmony


It's been another one of those weeks where we've been transfixed on the occurrence of yet another horrible act of terrorism, this time unfolding in the city of lights, Paris. I heard the news of the attacks late on the Friday night after they happened and was away for the weekend to celebrate the wonderful event of our granddaughter's Bat Mitzvah. I didn't see any television coverage or hear anything on the radio during the weekend as the energy was all about seeing a young, and quite capable, near teenager become part of a community. It was about celebrating with family and friends as well as carrying on traditions that have been passed through the generations.

It wasn't until I started to make my way back home that I saw, not so much the news of the attacks, but how people were reacting to them. As Monday morning arrived, I had to decide on my teaching theme of the week and sat thinking to myself, "Again...another opportunity to talk about something so heinous that it breaks our hearts and tosses us into the den of fear. How should I approach things this week without sounding cynical or hopeless?"  It felt like the only refuge that I personally had was to go into my heart and pray for peace and healing, even though I had done this countless times previously, it still seemed like a sacred place to reside.

So how do we stay in our practice when such devastating things are part of our world? How do we continue to manage the feelings of disgust, anger and hatred toward others? And more powerfully, how do we hold such deep sadness in our hearts? I sadly believe that I will not see peace in the world in my lifetime. Does that mean that I should stop trying to?

My thought of the week is around holding ourselves in a place of compassion and love. That in order to find peace in the world, we must find peace within ourselves. Such events have only strengthened my personal resolve to make continued choices that are of the vibration of love and compassion, rather than "turning to the dark side". In order for my stunning granddaughter 
and spectacular grandson and all of our future generations to find peace in their lives, they must be supported in fostering this from the generations that have come before them. So I am determined to hold my own vulnerability, anger and fear in such a way that it is felt and acknowledged but doesn't lead my actions. Rather, my actions are led by trusting that at the core of my own essence is love which is the most powerful of energies and intentions.

We must begin with ourselves in finding self-love and offering ourselves loving kindness. May I be safe, happy, healthy, live with ease and find peace. What I wish for myself is what all beings wish for themselves. It's as though the seed of my compassion needs to be planted and nourished within my own heart so that it may ripple away from me, to all of my relationships, to all of my actions, to all beings known and unknown, so that the energetic vibe is that of love. 

May all beings everywhere be free of suffering. May all beings everywhere be safe and have enough food to eat. May all beings be happy and healthy. And may all beings everywhere find peace.

Om shanti shanti shanti...

No comments:

Post a Comment