Saturday, November 28, 2015

Build Your Tribe

sepia_stacked_hands.jpg

We have just passed the Thanksgiving holiday here in the United States, a day not only rich in turkey, stuffing, pies and tradition, but a day that can be honored with an attitude of thankfulness. As the day approached I was struck by a deepening sense of the importance of community. Following the Paris terrorist attacks with the anger and rhetoric that ensued, along with deep sadness, it reminded me of how important it is to stay connected to each other from the highest place of intention and integrity.

My thought of the week is to create our own tribe, to build a network of people who are supportive of each other even with each of us having different objectives and ways of life. The stronger we can come together with a collective intention of loving kindness to manifest peacefulness in the world, the better. Even if it just begins with you and one other person  sharing the hope of peace and acting upon it can begin to offer a shift away from negativity toward a more positive vibration. The point is to act upon the intention of support rather than keeping it as a theoretical and perhaps seemingly unattainable ideal.

When I began to shift my teaching career out of the fitness industry toward teaching the mind-body practices of yoga and meditation, it took quite a bit of steady determination. I had been teaching very large and often popular group fitness classes where people would arrive early to "get their spot" and would often need to share equipment to ensure everyone could undertake the practice. It was an abundant time yet deep inside I knew I was being called to work more with the connection of body-mind-spirit. I had the experience for quite some time of sitting by myself in the yoga studio, hoping and waiting for someone to walk through the door. Classes were often just a couple of people but my heart wanted to teach as though the class were full...and so I did. Fortunately, this determination and persistence has begun to pay off with what feels like an ever-expanding pool of people who've stepped onto the mat or sat down on a cushion.

Part of doing what I do involves building our local community of yogis and yoginis and what's astonishing is that some 12 plus years later, I'm actually bearing witness to its ripple. Building a loving and conscious community is vital for us to propagate peace in the world, even if it's just one person at a time. 

Since moving back to the States in 1997, I often felt like I couldn't find "my people". For years I had (and still have) what I call my "heart family"-the group of friends who hold your heart dearly and support your own path of growth and evolution. Leaving Australia, I left this behind and was hoping to find a similar connection back in the States. But what happened was somewhat surprising. My new tribe seemed elusive and I had many false starts as to what I was hoping to be authentic and long-term relationships. It was through walking my own path, being driven by a sense of my purpose in the world, that my tribe started to appear. It was as though I had to let go of what I wanted from other people and needed to focus on what I could do to serve other people.

Perhaps as you read this you're thinking about your circles of friends and community. Perhaps you already have a strong sense of connection. My thought for the week is to say: if you don't have it, build it through your own intention and if you do have it...make it bigger and be the catalyst that fosters a deeper sense of acting from love and support.

And to all of you who have crossed my path and joined me in this pursuit, my heart is wide open with gratitude. Thank you.

No comments:

Post a Comment