Sunday, May 10, 2015

Class of 2015


This past weekend was one of those times in life with abundant "apex" moments. My thought of the week is to stop and celebrate when those moments are happening, such as graduating the second class of nine students from yoga trainees to yoga teachers. 

It all began over two years ago when traveling in India that I received insights about offering a yoga teacher training program. I returned to the States with a firm belief that it was one of those items next on my list. I was once told that I needed to share all that I have learned, that it was part of my dharma (reason for being here) and that it would be adharmic to keep it to myself. Write, speak, teach were part of the instructions in sharing what I knew and a teacher training seemed appealing. I felt called.

In order to offer a teacher training one needs to fulfill a number of requirements as well as the ability to jump through some hoops. I had to create a curriculum outline, set dates, prices, find venues and apply to Yoga Alliance (the credentialing body in the USA). Once you submit the application, you wait for approval. So, I applied and waited...and became my own yoga school, Desert Yoga Therapy Teacher Training.

But would there be enough interest?

An overwhelming yes was the answer to that question with now 27 students having worked through 10 modules over the past two years. The course offers a foundation of training that supports the instructors in whatever their future choices may be as they have established strong foundations in alignment, anatomy, communication, modifications and are in a position to teach a safe and fun gentle yoga class.

I don't want to say "Mission Accomplished" but rather "Mission blown out of the water!". Although everyone is taught the same content during the course, everyone displays their unique style and personality by their final exam (which was teaching a 40-minute class). Each class was interestingly distinct, yet all built on foundational principles...27 different flavors, all reflecting a well- rounded fundamental understanding of yoga.

The final day was a celebration and graduation ceremony in a local park, next to a beautiful lake.  It was time to play. We gathered early where I taught a gentle yoga class joined by family, friends and alumni from the Class of 2014. The ceremony had two lines of trainees and alums on either side of a purple cloth. When a trainee was called, they proceeded to the end of the cloth which was raised into the air as the tunnel of transition. As the trainee stood, I read the outstanding qualities that their fellow students thought of them, "kind, funny, nurturing, professional, precise and calm" were some of the adjectives. Upon reaching the end, they were given a 108 bead mala (meditation necklace), goody bag and their much deserved certificate.

This group has grown into its own unique and close knit community. They've been supportive of each other and grown into deep friendships with the resultant undertone being one of authentic gratitude and love for each other. Tears flowed, hugs were abundant and my heart was so full of pride and love that there truly was no room for anything else.

To be given the opportunity to walk your path and share is an incredible gift. I have such trust and excitement in how these newly anointed teachers will ripple out into the community. They all have so much to offer, each in their uniquely beautiful way.

It truly has been an "apex" moment. Congratulations to all!

No comments:

Post a Comment