Saturday, May 23, 2015

Be Of Service


At the beginning of each week, I create a word or statement from beautiful blocks with letters created by the artist, Jennifer Mazzucco, and place them on the sign in desk at our El Paseo studio. It sets the tone and intention for the week and filters through into each class I teach. This week I was inspired by the statement, "Be Of Service". This came from two perspectives of service that are quite different from one another. This coming week the United States remembers those who have lost their lives serving the country with Memorial Day. I bow in gratitude to the service men and women, their families and friends who have stepped onto this path.

The second perspective is what we can do as a community to raise funds for the earthquake devastation in Nepal. As you read this, we will have held a fundraising yoga class hosted at our local lululemon athletica store in Palm Desert, CA. When a global disaster such as this occurs, we often wonder how we can help...how can we serve?

The images and news coming out of Nepal broke my heart and the hearts of millions of people around the world. Although I have never been to the country, I know many people who have close ties to it and have always raved about the beauty of the land and the sincerity of its people. I felt compelled to help in one way that I know how...teach a donation based yoga class.

Part of being on the yoga path is to step into the realm of SEVA, described as selfless service. The meaning is that we give with no expectation of getting anything in return. We offer support from the place of our heart and release the exchange of currency that can often arise from doing something for someone else...the attitude of "what's in it for me?".  It no longer is seva if our motivation is to become more popular, loved or be perceived as something better. We give for the simplicity of giving...end of story.

The other side of giving is receiving. What does it feel like to open ourselves to being supported? When someone pays us a compliment, do we deflect it with self-deprecation? Have you ever had the experience of "Wow, you look amazing today!" "Really? That's surprising as I got no sleep last night and I so badly need a hair cut!" We put up some defense to receiving a compliment instead of simply saying, "thank you!".

Yoga is about balance from a variety of aspects, including giving and receiving.  Are you someone who always gives but is closed off to receiving? When someone says, "how can I help?" do you reply, "it's okay...I've got it!". Or are you someone who easily receives but doesn't step forward readily to offer support? 

Part of my practice over the years has taken the form of being a more receptive receiver. I've been out of balance believing that I needed to do it all by myself, but with practice, it's getting easier to let people support me. Over three years ago, many of you will remember that I undertook the Global Seva Challenge with Off the Mat, Into the World. My goal was to raise $20,000 and awareness around the issue of sex trafficking in India. I undertook the challenge as I felt called to do something that was bigger than me. I needed to get out of my own way, bypass my own doubts of being able to raise the money and call upon my community to support me.

This was a pivotal experience in my life. The beautiful thing was, I didn't expect it to be. I was focused on the cause, on the plight of young girls who had experienced horrific things and how we as a collective could help and make a difference. I felt called to serve, likely in the way that all others who serve get called, whether it be through the military, for family or friends, to our local community or to an individual in need. 

So my questions of the week have been, "How am I serving? What do you need? How can I support you?"  Can we all open our hearts just a bit wider to answer these questions? I'm trying and I hope you'll join me...in whatever way you can.

No comments:

Post a Comment