Sunday, September 8, 2013

Bhakti Fest

 
 
As you receive this, I will be in our local high desert of Joshua Tree.  This is the 5th annual Bhakti Fest, a gathering of yogis and yoginis from far and wide, of different yogic styles and attitudes.  As a community, we gather  in the wilds of the natural desert  to chant, dance, practice yoga and listen to a variety of speakers with the common intention of a deeper connection.
  
At first, it seems as though you've stepped a couple of decades back in time...somewhere in the late 60's or early 70's.  Bell bottoms, tie-dye and flowing outfits reflect the nouveau yoga chic attempts to be grounded in our yoga practice.  And there is definitely a feeling of love.  Yes, that groovy word L.O.V.E. seems to grow wider and wider as the 4-day festival unfolds.
  
Where else can you spend a few days with like minds repeating mantra and moving to the rhythm of your own breath?  I have been to a number of these festivals and find it a unique way to feed my yearning yogic soul.  I drop into the center of my being more than I do in my day to day life.  I get joy simply seeing people let go of their inhibitions, moving in their own expressions and dropping the barriers of judgment.
  
All too soon it seems to be over and we return to our everyday lives, yet something on a deeper level has shifted.  I trust that over time it will leak out of me in a more positive way and in so doing, I hope it rubs off on others in the process.
  
Establishing a practice of devotion (the meaning of Bhakti) in our daily ritual is one way to stay connected to this deeper expression of who we are.  Meditation, singing traditional mantra or songs that inspire and reading texts or words of insight are all great tools for this inherent need to ask the question, "Why am I here?  What is my purpose?".   Each morning in my meditation practice I do these things.  Over the years, I have tried to create a pattern that helps me to remember the feelings I experience so fully at Bhakti Fest and when on retreat.


Maybe I'll see you there?  Come dive into the Bhav...your soul will thank you!

No comments:

Post a Comment