Monday, May 14, 2012

Personal Retreat

Man oh man has it been busy! Not in a bad way, but in "I've had a lot on my plate" kind of way. Every weekend in April had an event, either for fundraising or my business (yoga retreat). In addition to that, it was the last month of the busy season. So all together, I've had very little time for myself.

Until now.

I am taking my own 3-day personal retreat as I attend Shakti Fest in the high desert of Joshua Tree. This will be my fourth such festival and each time is different, but they have all had things in common. Lots of yoga classes by well-respected teachers, lots of workshops, vegan/vegetarian food, groovy vendors, dry desert air, starry nights but mostly, I go for the kirtan!

Not heard of kirtan? I hadn't until I started digging into the yoga world more deeply and found it to be a fabulous way to practice devotion through music. A typical kirtan is a call and response, where the kirtan leader sings a line of a mantra and everyone sings it back. It often starts slowly and builds in tempo until you just can't help but move, whether it be vigorous hand clapping or full-on dancing. It can be ecstatic and whatever you were thinking about previously no longer seems important or in the forefront of your awareness. It's a way to "bliss out" without taking any substances except for a deep intake of oxygen. And believe me, past experience has taught me that I need to take time to reconnect to me and only me. It might sound selfish, but when my energy tanks are empty, I have nothing to give beyond the basics and for me, I like life to be a bit spicier than that.

This need I have to re-charge is of benefit to all and many people I meet and work with often tell me of how they have little time for themselves. So, as I try to live from a place of authenticity, I will take my own advice and do something for myself...aaaahhhhhh! Come along and experience the bliss with me in Joshua Tree!

No comments:

Post a Comment