Saturday, May 5, 2012

I Think I Can, I Think I Can

Some stories from our childhood leave lasting impressions. "The Little Engine That Could" is one that seems particularly relevant at this stage of my life. You know, the little train engine that thought he was too small and lacking power to make it up the big hill. But, in a moment of great need, he set himself the affirmation of "I think I can, I think I can" and chugged himself and his load up the hill.

I had a similar experience when I was a young softball player who used to ride my one speed bike (hot pink with a floral white basket on the front handlebars) to practice. I used to meet my Dad, who also rode his bike to practice from work and we'd ride home together. Each week we would leave the elementary school's fields and be faced with a steep hill on our way home. I would always get part way up the hill and then the hill would defeat me. I'd have to dismount and walk with my head down the rest of the way to the top.

Then one day on our way home we arrived at the traffic light where I accidentally bumped into my Dad and knocked us both over. He yelled at me for not paying attention (he rarely yelled) which sent me off crying as we set up the steep hill. Much to my delight (and rapid change of mood), I soon realized I had cycled all the way to the top without getting off! I could do it...I just didn't realize I could until I changed my awareness (from not being able to get up the hill to crying, a definite distraction away from the usual "negative" babble of thoughts!).

This theme replayed itself more recently as I heard an amazing recount of a friend's 4-month hiking journey along the Pacific Crest Trail (PCT) that begins at the Mexican border and journeys through California, Oregon and Washington states to the Canadian border. He was saying that on one of his most trying days, where he was physically empty, emotionally drained with uncertain footing on a rocky path that he began the day saying to himself..."I can do this!". It was his mantra for the day.

One step at a time with the affirmation of "I CAN do this". This statement resonated once again for me as I travel along my own uncertain path of how will I raise $20,000? As different obstacles and challenges have presented themselves, I have found myself using the same phrase, "I can do this". It's an incredibly empowering feeling when you begin to change your dialogue to that which emphasizes your ability, not your lack of ability. By stating positively that I am capable, guess what? I actually begin to feel that way. So much so, that I'm thinking of dusting off that supergirl cape that's been hanging out in the closet!

No comments:

Post a Comment