Monday, January 25, 2010

It Takes A Village

This week we are hosting the Babolat World Tennis Classic, a large event seeing some of the best senior tennis players in action.

This annual event has grown in size since its inception but one thing has remained constant; the need for volunteers to run the event.

My thought for this week is around those who donate their time and energy to helping others, whether it be for a tennis tournament, for charity or during a disaster. A few people may be recognized as the organizers or directors, but it does take a village of people for things to run smoothly.

I hold a deep sense of gratitude to all the people who step up this time of year and assist in making our tennis tournament and my subbed yoga classes possible. I have always held a strong sense of independence. So strong, that asking for help from someone else was always difficult for me as I felt it was either a weakness of mine or an imposition for someone else.

The great lesson that our volunteers have taught me over the past six years is that THEY get enjoyment out of the process as much as I need their helping hands.

I try to apply this idea outside of the annual tournament in allowing myself to ask for help when I need it. It IS ok to not be superwoman and able to do it all by myself. Besides, that can get lonely...

Thank you many times over to all who support us, now and throughout the year. We really couldn't do it, without you.

No comments:

Post a Comment