Monday, November 16, 2009

One Step At A Time

When One Teaches
Two People Learn

I came across this saying within the past couple of weeks, presented by one of my teachers-Judith Hanson Lasater. And as often happens, I see the saying and think "that's cool" and then don't think about it again.

That is, until a situation happens and then...POP...it lands back in my awareness. My thought for this week is based around this experience happening throughout this past week of teaching classes.

I often think it would be a great idea to have a camera when someone attends their first yoga class. But, as you can imagine, the other implications from this thought may not be agreeable, so the camera is my own memory and mind's eye of how the student looked and acted.

One of the most blessed moments that I experience in teaching is that I will be progessing through a class, look up and seemingly in a sudden swift moment, I am hit by the brilliance of my students! Once again I think, "WOW! I wish I had a camera because you all look so amazing! When did it happen that you all turned into yogis?"

It's probably not dissimilar to a parent looking at their own kids and thinking, "when did you grow up and learn so much? Did I miss something?"

In those moments, it is reaffirmed that consistency is the key. Stepping onto our yoga mat (or into any other endeavor) with a clear intention and purpose in practice on a regular basis equals progress.

When I teach I become a student each and every time. My students teach me to be patient, to be present, to hold the space for all that comes into the practice from the outside world and to remember that I don't know it all.

I hold such gratitude to the many students who have been in front of me. I feel fortunate to have the opportunity to keep becoming a better teacher. And, I am humbled by how much I still am able to learn.

Take a moment to reflect upon the experience of being both a teacher and a student and place a seed of resonating gratitude into the process.

Om Shanti!

1 comment:

  1. I like yoga

    http://alfrhnsby.blogspot.com
    http://cashle.com/?ref=alfrhnsby

    ReplyDelete