Monday, November 23, 2009

Keeping the Peace



It's been about a month since we returned from our Australian retreat and holiday. During that time, we had some deeply reflective and peaceful days that left us with a strong residue and feeling of wanting to hold onto that experience once we arrived back home. But how?

How do we hold onto that peaceful feeling when we step back into being busy, getting back to work, catching up with people and sorting the laundry? So often, it feels as though the holiday was just some distant dream and now that we're back home, the craziness is beginning all over again.

One thing that stood out for me during this past trip was how easy it is to get distracted by unnecessary happenings and dialogue. Part of my return-home strategy is that I have been on a news fast. No morning news. No evening news. No newspapers. No news radio. Why? Because the news doesn't make me feel good. And I have found that by not watching the news, I don't become invested in drama that doesn't concern me. If it's an issue that does concern me, it seems to finds its way into my awareness through other people talking about it. I get wind of what's going on, but I don't invest any unnecessary energy in it.

I've also been sticking with my daily meditation routine and trying to slow down to be in the moment more and more frequently.

I can call up an image of my Aussie trip, of sitting on the beach as the sun rose over the Coral Sea and feel the experience all over again, even if I'm sitting at my computer or driving my car.

Further, it reminds me of the basic need we have to find our own way to being in quiet. To find our own peace. To look after the relationship that we have with ourselves.

As the holidays approach, try to do things more slowly, with focus and attention. Slow down. Breathe. And of course, eat and share this Thanksgiving with loved ones. They will benefit from being near a peaceful you.

No comments:

Post a Comment