Sunday, April 19, 2009

When the Unexpected Happens...

Greetings everyone,
This past week has been one of "when the unexpected happens, how do I handle it?" kind of week. My husband, Ed, hadn't been feeling that well for a few days. Not all the time, just on and off. Last Sunday we went to the emergency room to get things checked out. By 5:00 pm on Monday, he was coming out of anesthesia for a double bypass surgery. Yes...the unexpected had happened to us.

This past week has been a surreal experience and I continue to be thankful firstly to the family and friends who have been unconditionally supportive through sending love, healing energy and positive intention in our direction. Secondly, I hold my heart in open gratitude for the practice of yoga.

I recently told a class that yoga is whatever you want or need it to be. For some, it's a way of stretching and strengthening their bodies. For others, it's a spiritual practice. Some use its many tools to handle challenges both emotional and physical. Over the past six years, I have been deepening my practice to support me as a way of living. I know that the regularity of my practice has been the foundation for me to be in stressful situations and able to maintain a sense of hopefulness and the possibility of a joyful life. I'm not saying this current challenge hasn't been taxing and overwhelming. It has. Yet everyday I get up and sit in meditation, breath and say thank you to the universe.

My husband is about to come home and is healing beautifully. He has no permanent damage to his heart and is expected to continue to live a vibrant life. He, too, practices yoga and has called upon it during his initial recuperation. It makes me emphasize that the time to create this support is BEFORE the drama arrives. That way it's there when you need it.

I hope this weeks message finds you all well and perhaps finding even see you in a yoga class this week!

No comments:

Post a Comment