Friday, December 18, 2020

Seva & Solstice

 


Something deep within me loves this time of year…and no, it’s not because of the gift-giving (which I do very little of), or the parties (which I rarely attend), or the looping songs of holiday cheer. It’s more visceral than that. The longer nights, the cold and often crisp mornings, the winding down of a calendar year are each throwing out an invitation to slow down, hibernate, and turn inward. I hear the calling and seem to be enjoying a deeper dive into my daily meditation practice and look forward to the next couple of weeks being quieter.

Several years ago, my husband and I started to mark and celebrate the Winter Solstice. Neither of us were embracing the traditions we were raised with and I was beginning to feel a bit “bah-humbug’ish” and wanted to find a way to connect to the beauty of the season-community and light. We decided to invite friends over for a potluck, light candles, and sing Kirtan-a call and response group gathering based in Indian folk music. At first, it was just recorded music and, over time, it evolved into my band-Jayne & The Om Boys playing live at the Desert Yoga Therapy studio, not only for the Winter Solstice, but eventually the Summer Solstice and both Equinoxes. In addition to the live Kirtans, we asked that people donate money to a chosen local charity. Over the past few years, we’ve raised tens of thousands of dollars and each time, the experience is unique based on who gathers together. It has become quite a tradition, that is, until this year where the 2020 global pandemic diverted our traditions and best-laid plans.

In the Northern hemisphere, we are approaching the darkest days and as we cross the Solstice in the next short while, the days will begin to lengthen and we will start to welcome the return of the light. Is there a more perfect metaphor for 2020 than moving from the darkness, challenges, and grief of 2020 to a more hopeful time with coming vaccinations and a return to opening up schools, businesses, and our ability to once again move around the globe? Moving from darkness to light?

Yet in some ways, it’s important to not oversimplify the darkness to light metaphor. In the Southern hemisphere, they’re approaching the Solstice and the opposite will be happening. Their long days of summer will begin moving toward the darkness, yet do they not feel a similar hopefulness that we do in the north? Take into consideration the yin/yang symbol, the two tadpole shapes, spooning into each other. One is white and the other black, yet within the white is a black circle and within the black a white circle. It tells us that even in the light, darkness is present and within the darkness, light is also present. The opposing energies co-exist at all moments no matter where we’re at in the cycle of the calendar.

As it relates to this past year, it hasn’t all been darkness and grief. I’ve had people express gratitude at being able to undertake their yoga practice in a way they never had previously. I’ve grown in my own ability to create content, share it, and teach in a way I never imagined. I have been dancing with my husband every night since March, bringing a new ritual of daily joy we never had previously. I have had deeper and often marathon conversations over Zoom with friends, even though I couldn’t be with them in person. And I’ve been able to undertake Seva, self-less service, throughout the pandemic, donating to our local food bank, and offering free weekly sessions to my yoga community.

During this time I am reminded of three things that help to bolster our yoga practice: Seva-service to others; Sadhana-walking our individual spiritual path; and Satsang-community of like-minds. I’ll be discussing Sadhana and Satsang in the next two weeks for a deeper understanding. No matter how challenging these dark times seem, we are still able to continue what’s important to us for connection, soul-evolution, and the betterment of humanity. It looks different to how it has in the past, but that’s the beauty of it…it didn’t go away, it simply changed form.

Seva asks the questions: How can I serve? How can I be of help? What do I need to serve myself in order to support others from a heart-centric place? I am reminded during these darker days of stepping into winter, to step into my practice and check-in. The quiet and stillness is a ripe time to ask the questions above and listen for what arises. I hear the call…do you?

No comments:

Post a Comment