Saturday, April 18, 2020

Indra's Net


As I sit writing this week's blog, I am alone in my yoga studio. Just me, a lot of space and a bunch of props hanging out. I'm here in order to broadcast live online classes and I'm grateful that it's been going really well. I am doing what millions of others are doing throughout the world...distancing myself from others in order to decrease the spread of COVID-19. I leave my house in the morning, drive alone to the studio, open the door, then turn around and lock the door and spend my days working in an odd space of solitude...yet not really. Every time I launch a Zoom meeting, I am once again connecting to everyone else on the call. And I can feel the connection.

In this era of physical distancing, many people might be feeling quite alone and isolated. Perhaps the only physical connection is with whom you're living with and those brief encounters when we venture out to get food, medication, or other essentials, and in those situations, we're keeping away from one another. One thing that is definitely amiss is physical touch...no hugging, patting each other on the back, or offering a compassionate pat on the shoulder. It's easy to understand how people can feel disconnected.

This week's theme is to remind ourselves that physical connection is important and needed, yet it is not the only way we link ourselves to others. Being yoga practitioners we know that we are more than a physical body and possess layers and different expressions of who we are. The idea of interdependence began back in 557-640 B.C.E. with a concept called Indra's Net put forth by a Buddhist monk named Tu Shun. The idea is that we are all connected through a metaphysical energetic grid and at each junction within this web, lays a jewel that reflects the light and energy of any of the other jewels within the web. Every jewel represents an individual life form, atom, cell, or unit of consciousness and, in turn, is intrinsically and intimately connected to all the others. Hence, a change in one gem is reflected in all others. Or as Leonardo da Vinci said, "Learn how to see. Realize that everything connects to everything else."

Over the past week, I have noticed an emerging conversation about polarities during this time. On one side of the COVID-continuum are those who are deciding when to binge-watch their favorite series on Netflix and on the other side are those wondering how they'll pay their bills or get enough to eat. At the time of this writing, approximately 22 million Americans have filed for unemployment benefits translating into a massive shift of people who might be suffering due to uncertainty, loss of income, a lack of purpose, and grief. And according to Indra's Net, we are connected to their suffering and they are connected to our good fortune. We are not isolated in this matter, perhaps physically but not otherwise. This is a time for deepening empathy and compassion, where our actions can greatly support or detract from the entire energetic network.

My thought of the week is to think about the experiences of other people and, if possible, begin manifesting support for them, particularly if we are finding ourselves in a fortunate position. One way to do this, as I have often said, is to begin within. When we connect into what it is that we need, into finding self-love and compassion, we fill up a well that begins to overflow to others. The collective consciousness is a powerful resource for sending "good vibes" to those who are sitting in places of darkness and sorrow. By switching on our own light and intentionally offering this to others, we prime Indra's web of connectivity by raising not only our own vibration, but that of all beings everywhere.

May the merits of my practice not only benefit myself, but all beings everywhere is a layer I've been adding into our group practices. By opening this channel in the realm of social distancing, perhaps we uncover other ways to help our human family. Once our own basic needs have been met, we are then in a stronger position to support the needs of others.

May the light of my own heart, ignite the light within yours.

No comments:

Post a Comment