Saturday, January 18, 2020

Call To Action


This week's theme has stemmed from last week's theme, that of Collective Energy  (click here if you missed it) and evolved into being called to action. I've heard the call, loud and clear, about getting active in raising funds for fire relief in Australia. My heart breaks with every image of a burnt or injured animal or hearing stories of people returning to property that's been obliterated by a firestorm. And I sit here, in the pleasantly cool winter climes of a desert winter, wondering how I can be supportive. My other home has been on fire and I'm 10,000 miles away feeling sad and somewhat hopeless.

I first stepped foot onto Aussie soil 40 years ago...January 22, 1980. What lay ahead was an 11-month stint as an exchange student. I was two days shy of my 17th birthday, full of naivete and curiosity, and willing to try something that would challenge me in unexpected ways. What I didn't expect was that I would completely fall in love with Australia, my heart and soul were smitten. Upon returning to the States, I immediately began devising ways to return, which I did in 1982, and eventually became an Australian citizen. I never expected to return to the States, but life throws the unexpected in our path as I fell in love with an American, living in Melbourne, and together we decided to return to California. 

Although we returned to the States, my heart never left Australia. We return every year, connect to our "heart" family, set our feet in the sand, and completely enjoy the familiar rhythm of being Down Under. I've been told that I'm "bi-national", completely comfortable living in both countries. They're similar, yet entirely different. So when I see and hear about the devastation, my soul calls me home to her.

Being called to action comes from a higher source, perhaps divine intervention. It's that moment when we are stopped in our tracks, receiving powerful signs that tell us we need to be involved and our reply to hearing the call is to heed it and unequivocally say "yes" to whatever may lay ahead.

The last time I felt the call so strongly was in February of 2012 when I made the commitment of raising $20,000 for Off The Mat, Into the World's Global Seva Challenge. They were addressing the issue of sex trafficking in India and having been in India just six months prior and looking to deepen my practice of Seva (selfless service), I said "yes" to the challenge. Having a terrific fear of failure, I almost didn't commit...I'm a yoga instructor, not a fundraiser. I didn't know the "how" of raising money. 

But, luckily for me, I listened to an insight that arose one morning during my meditation session that said, "Gather together with women who inspire you...". I paid attention and called together a circle of women who full-heartedly stood behind me as they said, "You have us." And so it began, about 8 months of events that raised $27,000 and off I headed to tour India with an extraordinary group of yoga practitioners who had made that same commitment. They too had been called to action.

So, as I've been called to serve Australia's fire relief and recovery, I sit in awe and gratitude for what I learned in the Seva Challenge. I immediately reached out to my community, which is much larger than it was 8 years ago, I've delegated and recruited, I now know the steps to take. I have no fear of being able to raise money. I don't have to do this alone and more wisely realize that more power sits within the collective energy of positive vibrations than anything I could do by myself.

Australia, you are not alone. You have a global community, an earth-family that is feeling your pain and has got your back.

So the message this week is to say a definitive "YES" when you are stopped in your tracks and are called to action. It will not only change your life but the life of so many.

Thank you, community. We love you, Australia!

No comments:

Post a Comment