Saturday, February 10, 2018

In A Hurry?


Slow down, you move too fast
You got to make the morning last
Just kicking down the cobblestones
Looking for fun and feelin' groovy
Ba da da da da da da, feelin' groovy...


~The 59th Street Bridge Song (Feelin' Groovy) 
by Simon & Garfunkel


Sometimes we find yogic wisdom in modern culture, and this week the wise words from Paul Simon and Art Garfunkel rang true from their 1966 song. It seemed appropriate to include their lyrics as last week during a Restorative yoga class, I was assisting someone as they transitioned into the next pose. She was stiff and moving slowly. I said to her, "That's okay, there's no need to hurry..." to which she replied, "I've been in a hurry my whole life!" And as soon as she said that, I thought to myself, "oh...I, too, have been in a hurry my whole life". It resonated as being true for me and as I've spoken about it this past week during classes, I see people nodding their head in agreement. 

I was born moving fast. I was number three out of four kids, with only 17 months separating me and my older brother. My Mom has stories of how I "wore her out" and was "always running around", hence why I started going to dance class around the age of six to get out of Mom's hair and burn off some energy. So moving at a fast pace seems natural to me and always has. My thought of the week isn't the absolute speed in which we move through our day, but whether or not it's in sync with our personal constitution and rhythm. In Ayurveda, the sister science to yoga, every person has a unique constitution based on their "dosha". The three doshas are Vata, Pitta, and Kapha. Vata's are governed by air-ether; Pitta by fire; and Kapha by water-earth. 

My personal constitution is very fiery...I'm a pitta, which when I found that out was actually quite relieved. Understanding the characteristics of my being, brought ease and acceptance as to that's how I'm wired. Pittas are the "type A's" of the dosha world. We want to know who, what, where, when, why and how. We seek knowledge and clarity, think analytically and in a linear fashion. When we're in balance we get things done, which supports my "fast" moving ways but when we're out of balance, the flames of the fire roar us into inflammatory responses of anger, frustration, and outbursts as well as physical inflammation. 

Vatas can be described more as butterflies - social, taking their time to be with people and to get to places. They may not be overly concerned with arriving on time, are enthusiastic and really creative. When out of balance, they can appear scattered and flighty. So if you get a Pitta who's in a hurry bumping up against a Vata who doesn't maneuver the world in the same way...fireworks may appear.

And Kaphas are the earth-mothers, the grounded ones, the people we want around in a crisis. They tend to be grounded and stable, walk and talk more slowly. When in balance, they can be the "rock of Gibraltar" that we turn to and when out of balance, they may tend toward sluggishness, lack motivation, or gain weight.

We all share elements of all three doshas, and knowing our own make-up helps us establish strategies for self-care. I know that when I'm rushing I become mindless rather than mindful. I try to carry too many items, I drop things, and appear clumsy. It's a feeling of being pushed from behind yet it's self-imposed. In those moments of noticing this hurried feeling, I turn to my practice and simply take a deep breath. I try to recognize why I'm rushing and match the rhythm of what needs to happen in the present moment. It's not easy, but it's gotten easier as my awareness has deepened.

As I undertake a year-long course in Simple Living, the focus of February is "busyness". It's completely appropriate as we are in peak season and people seem to be teeming all over the valley. In speaking to my husband, Ed, about changing the paradigm of thought around "being busy" he suggested that instead of saying, "I'm busy" to say "I'm full". I love that idea! Saying "I'm busy sounds dismissive, as though there's not enough time for other people or joy in life. Saying "I'm full" is acknowledging the current abundance that exists and for which I'm truly grateful.

As I feel the imposition of hurriedness I remind myself to take my foot off of the accelerator just a bit. I want to give myself room to feel the joy that comes with fullness, that deep satisfaction of manifestation. I also want to connect with and acknowledge my friends and family during more hectic times that they're a vital and loving part of my life. And if I find myself in a hurry, I can turn to an oldie but goodie and slow down, because I'm moving too fast. It's time to feel groovy!

No comments:

Post a Comment