Saturday, December 2, 2017

Be. Receive. Give Thanks.

childs pose @ sanctuary

At times I hear something and know immediately that it's worth holding onto. This past week, I was listening to a guided meditation by Sarah Blondin on the Insight Timer App (free and fabulous) and she said the above statement: Be. Receive. Give Thanks. I kept repeating this phrase throughout my meditation and noticed how each word had its own gifts and imagery. I knew I wanted to share it with classes this week with the hope that each person who hears these words with little prompting, can explore what arises when silently repeated.

Be.

For me, this speaks volumes to the many practices in the wisdom traditions that support us in being fully present and in the moment. We are so easily enticed away from the now by the everyday-ness of life. We awake in the morning and so often pick up a device, checking for what has happened during our sleeping hours which can prompt us to look into what the day ahead holds. We completely skip over being right where we are.

It also feels as though "be" is about acceptance, coming to a place of being with what is happening without the need to alter, fix, or change the experience. In doing so, can we be in a state of equanimity with whatever is occurring? 

Receive.

As I sat with this word, I allowed myself to receive whatever was arising without trying to alter it. To receive the next breath, to receive the thought that popped into my head, to receive the touch of air on my skin and the sounds in my environment. What do I receive easily? What is it that I don't like to receive? In receiving, we need to stay open and porous with our yoga practice as this is often the place where not only do we let go of what no longer is serving us, but open to receiving what does.

Give Thanks.

We just celebrated the Thanksgiving holiday here in the USA. A day devoted to gratitude and feasting, so gratitude seemed to be elevated in people's awareness. A practice of gratitude is a powerful way to remind ourselves of the abundance in our lives, particularly potent when we feel less than or frustrated when things don't go the way we want. To honor this, we put up a white board in the reception area of the studio with the heading of "Today, What Are You Grateful For?". Connecting to this part of our brains helps to re-wire negativity and set positive intentions. And in challenging times, it may seem we don't have much to be thankful for, but A.A. Milne, Winnie-The-Pooh reminds us: 


"Piglet noticed that even though he had a Very Small Heart, it could hold a rather large amount of Gratitude." 

As a practice, find a comfortable position and begin to focus on the movement of the breath in and out of the nose. Every time the breath changes direction, repeat the phrase as though you are breathing the intention into your cells and sending it out to the wider universe. Notice what comes up when each word lands in your awareness.


Be.
Receive.
Give Thanks.

A student shared their experience with the above practice noticing how they are all interrelated. When we allow ourselves to simply be, we are able to receive what we need. And when we receive what supports us, we are filled with gratitude. I couldn't have said it better myself. Enjoy the exploration!

No comments:

Post a Comment