Saturday, November 18, 2017

What's Your Why?


Over the next two weeks, we'll be exploring two connected concepts-What's Your Why? and Non-Negotiables. These two ideas are linked as once we truly know what motivates us, we begin to put non-negotiables in place to support us staying on track. My thinking about the timing of these two topics has been inspired by the approaching holiday season and all of the things that trip us up during this time. It's as though we enter into expectations that have been built up over a lifetime. 

When I was growing up, our Mom always made a huge effort to create a memorable Christmas holiday. She spent hours shopping and finding things that were just right for us four kids...nobody got more than anyone else, the tree was always trimmed, the presents beautifully wrapped, and Christmas morning Santa always delivered something special into our stockings. As a kid, I loved this time of year and, as I grew older, I realized that what was magical for me triggered an enormous stress response in my mother. Even in the past few years, this time of year flipped the stress trigger for Mom even though she had been an empty-nester for years. It's the expectations that we hold that can bring us less than a happy holiday, so in anticipation of being pushed off center during the holiday season, now is the perfect time to look at a deeper sense of our "why".

I love listening to Brooke and Ben McAlary of the Slow Home Podcast, who prompted this idea of finding our why. As part of a re-entry into her writing, Brooke randomly opened a book about things that spark ideas and inspire us to write and landed on the page that asked to write her own eulogy in three sentences. After many attempts and re-writes, she realized that the eulogy she wanted wasn't lining up with how she was living in that moment. In order for her to create her dream eulogy, she realized that something needed to change. As she began to uncover her why she started to put things into place to support a deeper intention.

I know that a large part of my why is to contribute to a more compassionate world, not only for myself but in actions toward other beings (human and otherwise) and toward Mother Earth. I use the lens of yoga to do my work in the world which is to share as much as I know and to support others in finding greater ease and balance in their lives. Another motivating why is to be of service to others, in whatever form that may take, whether it be through fundraising, raising consciousness, or lending a helping hand. I had a very real moment many years back as I began to transition fully into teaching yoga. I recognized that I needed to have experienced what I was asking of my students. It was important to be living from a yogic perspective in order for me to authentically share it with others. I didn't want to be a person who spoke the words during class and then acted differently once outside the doors. And this why shaped certain behaviors that over time have evolved into being my non-negotiables, such as a morning meditation practice and a commitment to writing.

Your why may be, and probably is, quite different to mine but perhaps you use the practices of yoga as a support to being more present and grounded in your why. Another example of taking action based on your intentions can be something as simple as bringing your own shopping bags to stores, or investing in multi-use containers for beverages and food, rather than single-use items. The why is that perhaps we no longer wish to contribute to excess plastic in landfills or in the ocean and the result is that we consciously use multi-use items.

As you approach this holiday season, ask yourself why you might feel compelled to be busy during this time and see if it aligns with how you wish to be in the world. I am grateful to all of you who take the time to connect with me through this blog and in our ever-expanding yoga community. May those of you who celebrate the Thanksgiving holiday spend it with love in your heart surrounded by those you love.

No comments:

Post a Comment