Tuesday, October 4, 2016

The Only Constant Is Change



Last week I was planting the seeds of what I wish to manifest in the future, the opening of my own studio and launching back into being a business owner. The New Moon last Friday was a ripe time for turning inward, visualizing and preparing the soil for what's next. This change into my next incarnation has been bubbling under the surface for a while and it seems that now is the time that the universal energies have converged to make it happen.

One of my primary concerns when I learned that things would be shifting from my current role to whatever was next, was how my students and fellow instructors would transition through the change. In an ideal setting, things would flow smoothly from one location to the next with some anticipated changes but overall continuity would be maintained. As most of us know what we imagine will happen and what actually does happen often times don't have anything in common. Over the past few months I have taken many emotional rollercoaster rides. I'd feel like the answer had been found only to find out that it really wasn't the answer. Then I'd drop into despair that nothing was going to happen at all and I'd be left without answers.

I knew though that I had to remain open and optimistic. I had to remind myself to trust the process of unfolding and to look at many possibilities. I knew that change was afoot and that change can often feel like we are straddling a faultline. I knew a certain element of surrender was being called forth, that I needed to hold on tight but not too tight. I also knew this was the perfect time to truly be in my practice...those many words that I had offered to classes were ringing true within my own ears. Trust, open, breathe, envision and be okay with whatever happens.

One thing that is constantly showing itself in each of our lives is change. Last week's blog on the phases of the moon was a reminder that every day things are shifting. When we forget to recognize that, when we try to hold onto what we know and deny that things are changing, we begin to create our own suffering. Just think about the self-talk as we age..."I wish I felt like I was 25 again", wanting some things to remain eternal but knowing that the natural law is that everything is shifting. 

These reminders come in the form of the seasonal shifts. Here in the northern hemisphere we are just stepping into autumn. It's cooler in the mornings here in the desert, the wind has kicked up a bit and the air is bone dry. Our daylight hours are shrinking and we are beginning to bring out warmer clothes and gravitate more toward soup and hot beverages. Soon, some trees will begin their transition into turning inward by dropping their leaves, resting as they prepare for a spring awakening. 

So as things change how do we stay in balance with it all? Here are a couple of ideas taken from an Ayurvedic perspective that might support us as things change:


  • Slow down
  • Create ritual in the mundane
  • Start to adapt your diet


The first one sounds easy but is challenging to do. Slowing down implies that we recognize that we're moving too fast. As the seasonal snowbirds begin to return to the desert, it's easy to feel the pull of busy-ness. Notice when you're rushing and pause to take a deep breath.

Creating ritual in the mundane supports an ability to become more connected to the present moment through the practice of mindfulness. For example, when you make your morning cuppa, notice the water boiling or percolating; get a whiff of the scents; pay attention to the tinkling sound of your spoon hitting the sides of your mug; anticipate that first sip and feel the warmth radiating as you cradle the cup.

As the season shifts, so too should our diets. Just take note of what's fresh at the local Farmer's Market and indulge in what's seasonal. In the northern hemisphere we can get more grounded through cooked, oily and slightly spiced foods. Think soups and stews rather than cold salads (and the reverse is true for the southern hemisphere).

When we create daily rituals, slow down and know that things are constantly shifting, we are able to better ride the waves of change. Even when those waves seem huge and crashing, we can embrace the idea that change is the result of seeds that have been planted sometimes many months or years earlier. Embrace the blossoming of all that you've planted. Happy manifesting!

No comments:

Post a Comment