Saturday, July 9, 2016

Freedom


Here in the United States of America we have just celebrated the 240th anniversary of the signing of the Declaration of Independence marked by the 4th of July holiday. This historical moment was when the USofA decided to cut its ties to mother England. It's quite an amazing story of creation and forethought that still has strong roots in today's American culture. Many folks here in the States are outwardly patriotic, sporting their red, white and blue, waving flags and gathering with family and friends to BBQ and watch fireworks. We celebrate our independence together and in a very public way.

As I taught classes this week, I've been mulling on the idea of what freedom means to me and came to one point that I hold as deeply important---that of having the freedom to speak my truth. I realize that this freedom isn't one that's afforded to all around the world. People are censored, even imprisoned or killed for speaking their truth. It can be so powerfully threatening that others act out against them. Freedom of speech and speaking our truth are connected by slightly different themes. In the States, freedom of speech is seen as a constitutional right, even if political correctness, rabid disagreement or dissent is sparked through the words spoken.

For me, speaking my truth is being able to connect to the highest part of myself, guided by compassion, love and the energy of spirit so that the words and thoughts that come forth are coming from the heart rather than an agenda. When we examined the Yama of Satya, or truthfulness, the phrase that stuck was "Is it kind? Is it true? Is it necessary?". Being able to express myself in the most loving way possible has been a lifelong journey and will continue to be. I believe that the words we say possess an energy that ripples out and away from us...and eventually, back to us. So if my intention is that of harming, if the words are vile, they will actually be reflected back to me sometime in the future. Speaking my truth is not only a freedom that's important to me, but knowing the impact of my words and how they affect all beings, including me, makes it a powerful practice.

My thought and question of the week is what freedom is important to you? The freedom to love and be loved? The freedom to live in all of your uniqueness and sense of self-expression? The freedom to think, meditate or contemplate in your own way? The freedom to be still? The freedom to wear whatever your creative heart desires? To move about without restriction? The freedom to pursue your dreams even if they seem lofty or impossible? The freedom to change? 

When I asked myself this question, I was flooded by the emotion of gratitude. My heart felt so full in being able to connect to a freedom that I hold in high esteem, particular to my own need. When I think about my connection to the issue of human and sex trafficking, to those who have no voice, to those people who are unable to possibly live freely, it not only breaks my heart, but it hardens my resolve to live fully in the opportunity that I hold to speaking my truth and offering that to others.

Imagine having such incredible freedoms and not using them to support the greater good of all beings! Why is it that I happened to be born into a family that lives in a free country and I see others who are born into oppression? It connects us to the idea that all of us are connected, all of us are related to each other. We are all global cousins. What I wish for myself, the freedom and ease to express myself, is something that I wish for all beings everywhere. And as I heard it expressed on the 4th of July, perhaps we should celebrate interdependence day as well. 

We know we are all part of the human family and that we have the strength and insight to lift up those less free than us. It sounds all very idealistic, however, if we simply rest in gratitude and count our blessings, we recognize how we can affect others. My wish for all beings everywhere is that they are free to be who they are, in all their light. 

Happy independence and interdependence day to all!

No comments:

Post a Comment