Saturday, May 7, 2016

Brahmacharya


Following a slight diversion in last week's blog about passion, we are back to exploring the Yamas, the external observances which are part of the eight faceted path of yoga. We have recently taken a look at three of the five Yamas and move onto the fourth, known as Brahmacharya. All of the Yamas relate to each other: compassion and reverence for all (Ahimsa); truthfulness (Satya); generosity (Asteya) and Brahmacharya translated as "moderation" continues to illustrate how they're connected, particularly back to Ahimsa.

In many translations of the Sutras, Brahmacharya is translated as celibacy and a wonderful explanation as to why can be found in Nischala Joy Devi's book, "The Secret Power of Yoga" (pages 196-197). Her translation of Brahmacharya relates to living a moderate and balanced life and this relates to all aspects of our lives. One way to look at this practice is by focusing on what is in excess. Too much of anything can throw us off-balance. We know that if we eat too much, we can gain weight. That if we work too much, we miss out on time with our friends and family. Sitting at the computer for too long can put physical strain on our eyes and posture. Shopping online, at the closest outlet store or on Black Friday can not only overstuff our closets but stretch our financial budget. You get the idea...moderation in all things. 

One great question to ask ourselves as we reflect on Brahmacharya is, "Where am I directing my energy?". If we think about the energy we have throughout each and every day, we know that it is limited. Take a moment to review how you spent your energy over the past 24 hours. Was it in balance? Did it serve a deeper part of yourself? Did it take you away from other things you were wanting to do? Was it focused on one thing (family, work, relaxation)?

As I've asked students to reflect on this question throughout the week, it dawned on me that to recognize when we've overspent our energy budget, we actually have to know what our energy budget looks like. At what point do you draw the line and cross over into excess? Can you recognize when you're in a state of excess? How does it feel in your body, mind, soul? And when we do cross the line of excess, we can throw ourselves so much out of balance that we are no longer in the practice of Ahimsa as we might be causing harm to ourselves on a variety of levels.

I know when I've gone too long in teaching without taking a break (as I do when are in our high season and run teacher training) I notice myself being more short tempered or trying to get pumped up about teaching another class. Over my 34 years of teaching, this has always happened. To bring myself back into balance I know that I need to take a break from teaching. When I step off the mat or out of the gym and allow myself time to do things with my significant other or for myself and simply not think about teaching, it's as though a new and creative life is blown back into me. I remember to connect to the bigger picture and all that is important in life. To stay fresh and inspired I need to recognize when I'm not that...fresh or inspired, and take a break to reignite the flame.

To maintain the residue of the breaks taken, having a regular schedule and daily routine of rituals, supports a longer term ability to stay motivated and driven by the work I do. Time has taught me to keep myself moderated every day and to avoid overdrawing on my energy bank account. Ultimately, when we begin to understand our own needs and understand what feeds us on all levels of our being, we begin to glide more easily along the path of the mission of our life. To quote Nischala Joy Devi:

"Devoted to living a balanced and moderate life (Brahmacharya), the scope of one's life force become boundless".

So let this day be one in which you free yourself from excess...do you know where to start?

No comments:

Post a Comment