Sunday, August 31, 2014

Do Your Best


I've had a few personal challenges over the past couple of weeks. It's as though the universe is giving me a pop quiz saying "So, smarty pants, you think you've been in your practice? How will you handle this?"  Just as I feel that I can remain on an even keel, something comes along to tip the balance.   One piece to deepen my own personal practice has been by participating in the 21-day meditation offered by Deepak Chopra and Oprah Winfrey.  It's the third series I've participated in from them and have enjoyed the process.  I find that a different voice of perspective awakens my own meditation.


This past week it was certainly sparked when Deepak said and I'll paraphrase:  


As we evolve along our own path of spiritual awareness, we can feel enthusiastic about sharing it with others.  Often, their response is less than excited and frequently disinterested.  Know that everyone is doing the best they can from the current level of their own awareness.


The last sentence landed right in the center of my consciousness, "they are doing the best they can in their current state of awareness" and I likewise find myself that very same position. 


I don't know if it's a gene, but I have this wicked combination of being a perfectionist and being competitive.  This isn't necessarily a bad thing as I get things done.  Yet, when I am out of balance I can veer toward feeling that what I'm doing isn't effective or good enough. I'm quite practiced at beating myself up and often bypass the positive impact that my actions have on other people and in the world.


This is my practice.  When something hits me in a profound way I recognize that's where I am in my own journey and when I have found a sense of peace with that I want to share it with others through teaching.  My lesson is that what I am is enough.  What I have is enough and what I do is enough...just where I'm at in this very moment.


When I come to that realization I sense an abundance in my being, not a lack.  It allows a softening of perspective toward myself and others as well opening space for the next step of my own evolution.  It allows a sense of freedom and forgiveness, something that sometimes moves out of perspective.


I hold gratitude for the voice of others and appreciated what Deepak Chopra brought into my awareness.  My thought for the week is to do the best you can...I'll try to keep that in mind, too! 

No comments:

Post a Comment