Tuesday, July 15, 2014

Wanderlust



I think my desire to explore the world was all set in motion when I was in utero.  My family boarded a ship to England where my father was going to be undertaking his post-doctoral dissertation at Leeds University.  My mother was pregnant with me on this journey and perhaps it was the rocking of the ocean currents that unlocked my travelers curiosity gene.  
 
From a young age I traveled around the United States on family camping trips.  We would pitch our tent and head out to explore the many state and national parks that are a true treasure of this country.  Getting on an airplane was a luxury and offered an exciting feeling of adventure-in-waiting and was a much rarer experience than a car camping trip. 
 
My biggest adventure was two days before my 17th birthday as I boarded a plane to Australia on a year long exchange.  And in 1986, I bought my first around-the-world ticket that took me through Bangkok, to Europe for the World Gymnastics Championships in Rotterdam, onto the States and back to Australia.  The drive to explore kept getting stronger and stronger, longing and looking for that "off-the beaten-path" experience.  I embarked on a 20-month journey where I traveled for 12 straight months...Greece, Europe and onto a 6-month epic exploration of Africa.  I eventually landed back in the States so I could work, earn money and keep travelling.  The final phase of that journey went through Canada, Hawaii, onto Hong Kong, Thailand and Malaysia.  Fatigue and the longing to no longer live out of a backpack brought me back to Australia where I began to focus on re-igniting my career.
 
But the wanderlust has never left.  I'm still curious and still excited to pack my bags and head out the door.
 
As you receive this, I will be in Squaw Valley (Lake Tahoe in Northern California) attending a yoga festival appropriately named "Wanderlust".  I return home for a couple of days then head to South America where the Inca Trail, Machu Picchu and the Galapagos await.
 
My world exploration has taught many lessons which include patience, planning, acceptance, trust and letting go of control. One of the most potent lessons has been that of independence and self-reliance, a sense that we all have the potential to step out of our own backyard and enjoy what the world has to offer.  It opens our eyes, offers a perspective that might be completely opposite to the beliefs we hold.  It allows us to come face to face with humanity in not only its rich beauty but its terrible tragedy.
 
I've once again got that feeling in my belly that an adventure is about to unfold and I look forward to sharing it with you upon my return.

Adiós mis amigos!

No comments:

Post a Comment