Saturday, March 8, 2014

Me, Me, Me



This past weekend I was honored to be part of something bigger than my daily life as I was one of five yoga instructors asked to teach at a charity event called Poses On Paseo.  It was the brainchild and inspiration by a fellow local yoga teacher named, Johnny Yuhas, who had the vision to bring our community together through an outdoor yoga practice and in the process donating all of the money raised to a local free medical clinic.  We were accompanied by live music in the form of Larisa Stow and the Shakti Tribe and graced with delicious food vendors and generous sponsors.   When Johnny asked if I were interested in participating back in November 2013 I was honored and excited to say YES!

The residue that has held on since the event on Sunday was one that only became familiar to me in 2012 when I was raising money and awareness for the Global Seva Challenge in collaboration with Off The Mat, Into The World.  I spent approximately 10 months holding a variety of events as well as selling wristbands, t-shirts and tanks to raise money ($28k) for organizations addressing the issue of sex trafficking in India.  

Prior to the Seva Challenge, I knew that working toward something that was not related to me was important, but it wasn't until I got my hands dirty and dug into the issues that it changed me.  Prior to the challenge it was all theory and no practice. Stepping off my mat toward something bigger resulted in several shifts taking place in my world...it began to rock.  As I learned about how and why young girls are sold into sex slavery, a chord deep inside of me began to resonate.  Its volume continued to rise as I realized this chord was a voice to end violence against people, women and girls, in particular.  I began to sense the despicable and seemingly unconscionable act of selling a child for profit.  It propelled me into wanting to DO something, to take action.

In one event, an outdoor community garage sale, I was driven by the image of a young girl being raped daily to lessen my own discomfort I had in packing up unsold items in 106 degrees heat and very little sleep.  The reality check of the abundance of my own life helped to propel me through what seemed to be my own obstacles.  It was no longer about me and my first world challenges.  I had an opportunity to truly make a difference in the lives of people I hadn't met or didn't know and I was determined to make it happen.

I didn't take on the challenge to further my own career.  It came from that fundamental place of how we can serve each other, like the saying: "If you're feeling down, help someone".  But similar to all service that is said to be selfless, it truly isn't.  When you turn your focus and energy outward, through the simple intention of doing something for someone else what comes back to you, floods back in a bigger wave then you could ever anticipate.  Serving others can alter the course of their lives yet it, without a doubt, alters our own as well.

Our culture is rife with a "what's in if for me" mentality.  What will I get if I do such and such?  I often say when teaching yoga that part of the practice is learning what serves and supports you and as you uncover that, letting go of what doesn't.  But the other part of our practice is what can you give and how can you serve?

I once again hold deep gratitude for being able to be part of the pool of people who step into service.  That deep inner chord was struck again about how can I serve and it was so simple as well as beautifully inspiring.  Thank you to all who have served others and may we all continue to do so.

No comments:

Post a Comment