Sunday, January 19, 2014

Maxed Out



The other morning on my drive to work.  I had about a 30-minute commute and was in that early morning daze, in the flow of somewhat busy traffic.  My thoughts changed direction when I got behind a car with the license plate MAXD OUT.  "Maxed out?" I said out loud.  

Was the driver one of those compulsive shoppers who maxes out their credit cards and then has an intervention where caring friends and family step in with a pair of scissors to cut them up? Was the person's name Max or Maxine?  Had they reached the total number of kids they felt able to manage?  Or was their life so busy that they can't take on anything else?

In my projection, I chose the last one...that life was at its limit and no more could be had.  Now that may not be the motivation behind this particular personalized plate, but it got me thinking, "Am I maxed out?  Have I ever been maxed out?  And would I recognize it when I actually WAS at my maximum limit?".

Often when we push ourselves over long periods of time, our body is the first thing that slams the "maxed out mentality" out of us.  It lets us know in not so subtle ways to either slow down or I'll put you down by allowing those germs waiting in the wings to take hold.  Another indication of being maxed out are signs of disinterest, resentment and boredom.  We go through the motions, we get things done, but the enthusiasm and ability to remain connected to the process is greatly diminished.  We almost literally drag ourselves through the day, to plop exhausted into bed at night and begin the cycle all over again in the morning.

As I write this, unfortunately, it all sounds a bit familiar.  I have found myself on the edge of exhaustion.  I have been slammed down by illness.  I have had moments of wishing I were heading to Hawaii rather than into the yoga studio.  Yet, I hope these forays to the edge have taught me to use my tools to look after myself. Those two potent words...self care.

So when I feel that I'm stepping in the direction of maxing out my energy stores, I try a few of the following things: 

*Keep with my morning ritual, even if it means shortening its length.
*Find ways to have "restorative niches" (a term coined by Susan Cain in the book, Quiet)
*Practice things that are nurturing, like enjoying a cup of herbal tea, getting a pedicure or taking a few minutes outside to do nothing but be.
*And most importantly, get enough sleep.  When I don't have enough, when I've over-committed it always catches up with me. This means saying "no" to things on occasion including social gatherings and events.

Perhaps this has inspired you to get a new personalized plate that says, "Peasful" or "AT EASE".  Let it send a signal not only to yourself but to those driving behind you!

No comments:

Post a Comment