Sunday, June 9, 2013

Like Glass



Many years ago when I was living in Australia I spent some hot summer days learning how to waterski.  I would head up to the Murray river and camp with a group of friends along its banks.  The only mechanized item was the speed boat that would tote us behind it and all other amenities were that of the Aussie bush.  We knew it was going to be a stellar day when the water was "like glass".  What this meant was that the wind wasn't creating any waves on the surface and the water had huge patches of smoothness providing the perfect surface for sliding from side to side.
  
My thought of the week brought me to this waterskiing memory because that's the image I have for my life at the moment.  It seems as though there was a tidal wave of things to do:  working a busy season; turning in my assignment for my advanced yoga studies; submitting my application to become a yoga school to offer a yoga teacher training program; and simply keeping up with the deluge of information that crosses my desk. 
  
The busyness that accompanied it was seemingly constant for months.  The fast paced, hectic world of Jayne seemed to become the norm for so long.  So, when someone asked me the other day, "what's been happening...?"  I honestly drew a blank.  I didn't have any big project on the boil and it struck me that I am in a part of my life that is "like glass".
  
I didn't recognize it because it was unfamiliar.  And it actually feels a bit funny to be looking at a surface without waves.  Where's the rush?  Where's the deadline?  It appears to have fallen below the surface.  That at this point along my 2013 calendar I am being give a breather.  As history would teach me, these times are precious and often rare...so seize it!
  
Now the big question I've asked my self is, "what are you going to do with this uneventful passage?  My first response was to put something in place, asking the "what's next?" question.  But now, I'm giving that a second thought.  I don't need to DO anything.  This is a fantastic opportunity to simply be.
  
Imagine that.  Waking up in the morning without staring down at a massive to-do list.  I think I'll step onto the glassy waters and glide smoothly to where the moment takes me.

No comments:

Post a Comment