Saturday, June 23, 2012

Striving For Stuff

This past week we watched a documentary called, I AM. Created by Hollywood comedy director Tom Shadyac (Ace Ventura: Pet Detective), Tom diverges away from comedy and gets contemplative. Following a significant physical challenge that left him thinking about his own life, he seeks out prominent philosophers and spiritual leaders about what ails our world and how we can improve it.


Part of the question was prompted because as his success in films grew, so did his wallet and his acquisition of houses, cars, property and the use of private jets. One day an ephiphany struck as he stood atop a grand staircase in a 7000 sq ft Hollywood home. He had more stuff, but he wasn't any happier.


The American dream is pounded into us from birth. The ideal of owning your own home, with a yard and dog and perhaps a perfectly sized nuclear family of two adults and two kids. We are told that if we work hard, whether it be through education and a professional career, or through building a business or learning a trade, that we will find success which equates to happiness.


At some point along this dreamy path, excessive consumerism seemed to explode. The size of the house grew as did the number of cars needed to shuttle the family and still have space to hold our oversized purchases from big-box stores like Costco. The keeping up with the Jones' has become Olympic-like in its pursuit.


I'm not getting on my high horse around having stuff. I live quite comfortably in a beautiful house, in a lovely neighborhood, with a pool and a dog. Technically, I'm doing it...I'm living the American dream. I do work hard and run my own business. The question is, am I happy because of it? Basically, yes. I have more than my basic needs met and have created a serene existence doing what I love.


Then why do I sometimes struggle with the feeling that it's not enough?


Two words spring to mind: humility and gratitude. When I awaken to my own abundance and recognize that I am fortunate, I realize that I have more than enough. It's a humbling moment and is particularly potent when I travel into the third world (India & Africa) and see how happy people seem to be with so little.


It makes me feel as though my western abundance is just the frosting on the cake. But without the cake, the frosting isn't quite the same. The cake is how I choose to live consciously, compassionately and with purpose. It means staying connected to a deep sense of gratitude for all that is.


I AM was a great reminder to keep my "striving for stuff" in perspective. Just because I receive a new Athleta summer catalogue in the mail doesn't mean that I need a new swimsuit for the season. I have plenty and having more won't push me up the happiness scale, only gratitude will do that.

No comments:

Post a Comment