Saturday, March 31, 2012

Time To Make Hay



All the signs are there. I have a cold. I am sitting amongst a fortress of stacked papers. The to-do list isn't consolidated in one place, so I actually have to add, "consolidate to-do lists" on my list of things to do. My taxes are waiting to be done (ugh). I am just now writing emails that I wanted to respond to earlier in the week. The tomato plants need trimming. I haven't done a full workout in two weeks. These are the signs-it's peak season.

It's an abundant time for the seasonal desert community. The weather has shifted out of the winter chill, flowers are in bloom, the streets are crowded and sometimes you have to look around for a parking space. For self-employed people like me, this is the time of year to "make hay while the sun is shining".

But add to that, taking on a new challenge (the Global Seva Challenge India 2012 for me) and trying to socially connect with the seasonal snow birds it makes for quite a hectic time. Hence some things simply don't get tended to. So, how does a yogini with a slight OCD for order go about being OK with it all?

I try these things to maintain an even keel:

1. Keep my sacred time, sacred. I begin each and every day with a morning meditation. No exceptions.

2. Set aside time to attack what is on my to-do list. And stick to it. If it isn't at the top of the list, it can wait. This means prioritizing what needs to be completed today.

3. Sleep. Maintain a regular sleep habit. Bed at the same time, rise at the same time. If I'm feeling really pooped and have a small window it's either a restorative yoga pose or a wee nap for 15-30 minutes.

4. Humor. I'm busy. You're busy. It doesn't mean we need to lose our sense of humor. I take time to either listen to comedians on Pandora or watch my favorite sitcom (I find Modern Family hilarious).

5. Gratitude. I try to keep things in perspective this time of year. I feel blessed to have so much work, such great friends from all over the country that spend time in the desert and a true opportunity to make a difference.

6. Breathe. It's simple. It's available in this very moment. It can calm me down in a matter of three deep conscious breaths.

It's busy and I'm really happy that this is the challenge that I face. I love what I do and will put up with a bit of excess clutter to do so. It's no biggie...I've always got my breath!

No comments:

Post a Comment