Saturday, July 16, 2011

Have You Been To The E.A.C.?




E.A.C.=East Australian Current...what you may be asking has that got to do with yoga?



I've just had my anniversary. It was five years ago this month that I began a relationship with my inner self. A formal commitment of sitting on my meditation bench or cushion every day. In the beginning, I had some resistance to getting up a half an hour earlier than my usual early morning rise. Sleep was such a tempting companion. But, I promised myself that I would stick by my vow to sit in quiet everyday.



Five years later I can report that not only am I still in this daily courtship, but it's gotten better over time. In fact, I am now aiming to lengthen my sessions aiming for a minimum of 45 minutes each morning. It seems I have once again been inspired to do so through reading Sally Kempton's book, "Meditation For The Love Of It". Now she doesn't talk about the E.A.C., but that's one of the things I thought of through her teachings.



The YouTube Scene above from the movie, "Finding Nemo" is where Marlin, Nemo's Dad, meets Crush, the sea turtle. Marlin tells Crush the story of how Nemo was taken to Sydney and he's on his way to rescue him and needs to find the fastest route which is the E.A.C. Crush, the Southern California inspired surfer dude turtle, tells him "Duuuude, you're in it" and to hold on tight. I thought of this scene as a representation of the flow of universal energy that is present and within all beings.



When we allow ourselves time to settle below the surface agitation of our thoughts, we begin to connect to this current of energy. The energy is subtle and is always present, but as we live our busy lives we often pile layers and layers of distraction on top so we forget it's even there. We might have glimpses of it as we play or listen to music, walk in nature or see the adorable face of our pet. Wouldn't it be amazing to know this feeling always?



Putting our backside on the meditation cushion is a practice that offers daily chances to experience this deeper, more subtle and sublimely opulent aspect of ourselves. It's the time where we touch "spirit" and begin to know who we truly are, not defined by what we do or the roles we play, but our true selves.



Before my commitment to my meditation practice, I was a theoretical meditator...I had read about it for years but rarely practiced. The most recent discovery I've had through my practice is creative inspiration coupled with a drive to put things into action. Fear is always part of the equation, but as I recently read, if you have more love than fear, you can do anything. And being at 51% love and 49% fear, still works.



If I add up five years of seated meditation it equates to 912 plus hours of getting to know me. And just think, I could have spent that time doing something else, like purusing Facebook or watching TV.



It's an adventurous ride, find your current and as Crush would say, "Dude...hold on tight!"

No comments:

Post a Comment