Saturday, April 23, 2011

Change the Channel




(Revised from April 2009)



One day I was in the gym beginning a workout with a client. As I stood next to her treadmill, one of the many TV's were on and the one in front of her was tuned to some news station. What I saw next, really hit me as a thought for the week. CHANGE THE CHANNEL! Even with the sound being turned off the TV, the images alone set a definite tone of fear, death and destruction. There were, count them, four images on the screen at the same time. I noted to my client that each one of them was about some terrific disaster. I then said, "what a great way to begin the week".



Our thoughts, images and words hold power.



If we don't have something to anchor us into a positive frame of mind, then the constant bombardment of negativity will lead us down a path of dis-ease and ill-health. I'm not suggesting that we become ostrich-like and bury our heads. What I'm saying is to stand firm in our connection to what is here and supporting us...Mother Earth and the greater universe. Perhaps we should be standing buried up to our ankles in the earth, grounding us into a fundamentally magnificent connection. Earth Day this past week was a timely reminder to do just that...connect.



My question to you this week is this. What do you do to practice keeping yourself in a positive and optimistic mind-set when we are challenged to think that the sky is falling?



Of course this connection leads me to the practice of yoga which has a set of guiding principles that keep us focused on the idea that if we look deeply inward and peel away obstructions we finds something quite simple. Love.



If you're curious and wanting to learn more...come to a class and step onto the path of yoga. It is so much more than lengthening muscles. It's expanding our consciousness and connections. I hope you enjoy a beautiful week!

No comments:

Post a Comment