Sunday, March 6, 2011

What's Your Purpose?




This past week the desert was fortunate to host the speaker Mimi Guarneri, M.D., a Cornell University trained cardiologist who established the Scripps Center for Integrative Medicine in San Diego. She has also authored the book, "The Heart Speaks" which describes not only her own, but her patients journeys to the connection of the heart from more of a non-medical perspective.



Aside from talking about the use of food as medicine and other lifestyle choices that can greatly impact our health (such as not smoking), Dr. Guarneri mentioned many other factors that contribute to a healthier way of living. This included having a purpose in life or as the yoga world calls it, your dharma.



Your dharmic path is more than what you do for a living. It's about what your soul's purpose is during this lifetime. Do you know why you're here now? Do you have a sense of your soul's purpose? We can begin to uncover the answer to these questions by asking ourselves:



"When I am serving the highest good, what am I doing?"



It could be the noble act of being an attentive parent, keeping a school district clean and functioning, teaching or working with animals. When we begin to feel as though we have a purpose, our health is better. If we feel disconnected to what is driving us on a deeper level, our being suffers on all levels. I truly believe it can take a long time to discover our purpose and many of us try different things to see how it resonates. The point is that we keep searching. If we have found our purpose then the point is that we keep doing.

I love the philosophical gems offered up in the Tom Hank's movie, "Forrest Gump". It's refreshing how Forrest's simplified perspective of life is full of so much wisdom. The one scene that sticks with me was when Forrest was standing at Jenny's grave...his lifelong "girl" and wife. This is what he said:



"Jenny.



I don't know if Mamma was right or if it's Lieutenant Dan.



I don't know if we each have a destiny



or if we're all just floatin' around accidental like on a breeze,



but I think maybe it's both.



Both happening at the same time."



It makes me think about my own life's purpose. How much of my energy is knowing my life's purpose and how much of my energy is spent just floatin' around accidental...I have to agree with Forrest. I feel my life has both elements that reflect living in the moment yet with purpose. Letting things unfold, yet living with intention. Letting go of having to do or be something and see where life carries me. To trust that my life will unfold as it's meant to unfold. I believe that my daily meditation practice has created the foundation on which my thoughts can rest with or without action...with or without noise...with my destiny in mind, or just floatin' accidental, like on a breeze.



Now go get yourself a "box of chocolates"...

No comments:

Post a Comment