Saturday, November 20, 2010

Make A List





I don't know about you, but life seems a bit easier and more organized when I write things down. I figure that by putting it on paper (or in my iPhone) that my brain has more neuron space for things that I would actually like to remember, like a concept that I'm teaching in class that week rather than needing to remember to pick up organic beets at the store.

With Americans celebrating the Thanksgiving holiday this upcoming week, it's a great time to reflect. It's a time to recognize all that we are grateful for and to slow down, be with family and partake in the long tradition of creating and sharing a meal representative of abundance and prosperity.

But I think another way of expressing gratitude is to make a JOY list. Joy can often seem like something that we strive for, but is truly something that surrounds us constantly. As we acknowledge the seemingly smaller things that give us joy, we begin to feel as though we have so much to be thankful for.

As a practice, start a list with the header: "What brings me joy?". If that word doesn't work, then try inserting something such as "What lights a spark in my heart?". "What instantly brings a smile to my face?".


Keep it simple and small. We don't have to aim for grandiose occasions, but everyday, moment to moment happenings. Things on my joy list include:


1. Being greeted by my dogs the moment I come home
2. Seeing my husband's name on caller ID
3. Finishing a good book
4. Consciously slowing down and taking a deep breath
5. Lighting incense
6. Brewing chai tea
7. Seeing a yoga students evolution
8. Hearing great music
9. Saturday morning
10. Sunrises and Sunsets
11. Seeing a spectacular rose as it begins its bloom
12. Wrapping myself in a pashmina
13. Climbing into freshly laundered sheets
14. Taking a bath
15. Feeling the sun's warmth on my skin
16. Moving freely in my body
17. Talking with my brother


and...and...I feel as though I could go on and on...


The simple act of beginning to write this list has left a smile on my face and looking to all that I have in my life. As a result, I feel so incredibly fortunate and excited to be having each and every moment.


As we stop to say thanks this week, perhaps starting on your list will give it a deeper and surprisingly different meaning.

Now...paper, pen/pencil or iPhone ready?

Begin....

No comments:

Post a Comment