Saturday, May 15, 2010

On The Other Hand

This is the second time in my life where I have had to adapt to using my left hand due to injury/surgery on my right side. And being a dominant right-hander, I have to say that the second time around has been much easier. I keep telling myself that when I switch to using my left hand as the dominant hand, that it's great for my brain.

Being right-handed, I hold many of the characteristics of a left-hemisphere, dominant brain. I'm methodical, linear in thought and often quite stoic. Many lefties that I've known in my life (and I come from a whole family of them...) often have the more creative, expressive and blissful sides of their brains active. Those lefties brains just don't seem to follow the same path as mine.

So here is my opportunity! As I heal from right shoulder surgery, I have the chance to spend more time in the right hemisphere of my brain...the more blissful, loving, expansive and creative side of me. It's not like I never spend time over on that right side, I do and my yoga practice helps me cross the border more now than ever. But, with my automatic pilot left brain in a holding pattern, my right brain can have first dibs!

I challenge you this week to look at your own automatic pilot of doing things on either right or left sides. Do you always step forward from a standing position with the same foot? Do you always step into your underwear with one particular leg leading the way? Do you always reach for an object with your dominant hand?

OK...so try this to give your mind and body a new perspective for a few days:

1. Move your computer mouse to the opposite hand.
2. Try eating with the opposite hand (yes...even with chopsticks).
3. Get dressed in a different sequence....usually socks on first, put them on last.
4. Brush your hair or teeth using the opposite hand.
5. Throw a ball or frisbee with your non-dominant side.

You get the picture. We tend to repeat familiar patterns of behavior, over and over throughout our lives. You can imagine that the brain has disconnected itself from many of our basic activities (and for the good reason of time efficiency), so why not shake it up a bit and offer the mind and body a different way of connecting and communicating?

Let me know how you do...I feel smarter already!

No comments:

Post a Comment